DoubleC

Things I've Learned About Leatherworking Last Week

I learned just because you think 40 bucks is expensive doesn't make it true.

Just because you expect a tool to work doesn't make it true, or expect it to come sharp.

15 minutes ago I learned just because you're a little sour on tools at the moment doesn't mean you should run amok with your new rotary cutter after opening it. Yes it's ok to laugh manically when it says use caution, very sharp. It's ok not to believe it will cut anything. HOWEVER it wasn't so much OK when I tried to cut out suede around my checkbook asleep at the wheel and found out a rotary knife will handle suede AND leather with ease. My checkbook is going to be 2 inches square if I keep making mistakes.

When life hands you lemons, forget freakin lemonaid, open a cold beer and go sit and drink it in the sun with your dog.

Your first dragon you carve and tool probably shouldn't be the hardest picture you could find free on the internet.

When you do inlays remember NEGATIVE SPACE dummy, not just the outline, sigh.

OK, anyone else? I learned a lot this week. Cheryl

this week i learned that buying leather and making bags for the ladies in my family for christmas was a poor choice when i have a craft show to attend next week, i now have zero leather and zero stock :wacko:

a good thing i learned was that you can get away with using old skiving blades in the industrial knife from tandy, i also learned that they wobble abit and will slice through the end of a thumb like hot butter :ranting2:

:cheers:

I learned that when making a phone case, stitch the belt loops on BEFORE you glue and stitch the sides up.

Also don't use a metal headed mallet as a weight to hold the flap down while it dries. (noob here)

Oh and leather shrinks so leave the form/phone in until it dries.

Edited by cradom

I learned that a heat gun will work great to help get the mixture of neatsfoot oil/ beeswax to soak in to a holster. It also heats up the contact cement and allows the laminated leather to separate. Less heat and more hand rubbing held it all together thankfully.

Vacuum packers are awesome at wet molding around objects. just make sure to place the outside face of the project against the smooth side of the bag. The textured side leaves lots of marks that can't be removed easily.

I learned after looking at the amazing craftsmanship by Hidepounder on his leather rope bag --- I should take up bowling... :notworthy:

Well I started this topic a long time ago and it's nice to see it brought up again because I just learned some more things :) Sharkey I have a show the first week of December and have known about it since the first week of November last year and haven't made a single new thing.

Cradon I learned the uh metal, wet leather and dark spots a while ago :) I use bricks as weights, seriously.

Nstar, that's a good thing to know. Where do you get no stick needles?

CG, Have been there and done that. Hair dryer, leather, high heat and glue = uh, no no.

Tramp, looking at Bobby Parks work makes most of us a tad suicidal, but oh how nice on the eyes :)

I could talk about the things I've learned since I started this two years ago but it would probably depress me. I seem to learn a lot of things to not do!!!!! But I still love what I do and the folks here at LW.net.

I'll have to get in touch with them and see if they work with a cobra. I haven't really had a problem yet, but I'd really like to try them. Thanks, Cheryl

Today I just relearned that your thumb does not make an effective stop for your knife blade, I tried to take the end of my left thumb off this afternoon, and I have 4 rifle slings to carve and finish. Gotta love Christmas but I hope this thing doesn't act up tomorrow when I'm trying to hold stamps.

Chief

Chief isn't it amazing how some lessons have to be relearned no matter how long you do this? :)

recently i learned that I can't do everything.... but stupidity won't let me stop trying.... UGH

Lew we all want to do everything. It's not stupidity I don't think, it's more wanting to try different things. Then you find you don't enjoy some things as much as other. Keep on trucking and trying things :)

I learned last week not to leave an open bottle of neatsfoot oil on the bench next to an unfinished project....... :head_hurts_kr:

All I can say is OH NO!!!!!

Last week I learned that when testing new liquids,eye protection is not optional.

Up to now I've been using water and saddle soap for burnishing edges, but just got in some of the synthetic gum trag from Japan to try out. That stuff is slick, and at least with a rotary tool burnisher, will splatter.

The best and most importation thing I have learned is that speed and impatients will do nothing but create anger and a very bad project costing money and time that was wasted. Slowed down and smelling the roses along the way now.

Oh Glendon, ouch. Papaw good advice for me for sure. Did 18 smalls in a 24 hour period and none of them were very good. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

Well Darn. Learned once you started a Reply it can not be canceled .

So here goes. A replacement Beveller will never work like the original one.

Also what ever Luke tells me one day I sure will forget the next Day

LOL Joey.

Today I just relearned that your thumb does not make an effective stop for your knife blade, I tried to take the end of my left thumb off this afternoon, and I have 4 rifle slings to carve and finish. Gotta love Christmas but I hope this thing doesn't act up tomorrow when I'm trying to hold stamps.

Chief

This.

Apparently, this is a lesson I need to relearn every few months or so. Usually, it's when I'm sewing leather, and I support the back of it with my thumb while stabbing through. Like this: learnedfromlather-720x482.jpg

Ouchie. I'm slowly training myself to use a block of beeswax instead of my fingers, but old habits die hard.

Chief, the only thing that has worked for me to keep trucking through a busy time is to wrap it semi-tightly with a bandaid or two, so that the wound is held together even when you need to put pressure on your finger, but not to the point of cutting off circulation. Use an antibiotic ointment, and use latex gloves when doing the dirty dyeing work so you don't get your bandaid(s) wet when you inevitably need to wash your hands, so you don't have to change it a dozen times a day.

Edited by lightingale

This.

Apparently, this is a lesson I need to relearn every few months or so. Usually, it's when I'm sewing leather, and I support the back of it with my thumb while stabbing through. Like this: learnedfromlather-720x482.jpg

Ouchie. I'm slowly training myself to use a block of beeswax instead of my fingers, but old habits die hard.

Chief, the only thing that has worked for me to keep trucking through a busy time is to wrap it semi-tightly with a bandaid or two, so that the wound is held together even when you need to put pressure on your finger, but not to the point of cutting off circulation. Use an antibiotic ointment, and use latex gloves when doing the dirty dyeing work so you don't get your bandaid(s) wet when you inevitably need to wash your hands, so you don't have to change it a dozen times a day.

I have a huge first aid kit in the shop, the first thing I do is treat with antibiotic and then bandage, keep it that way until it heals. I got through it fine, thanks for the tips.

Chief

The best and most importation thing I have learned is that speed and impatients will do nothing but create anger and a very bad project costing money and time that was wasted. Slowed down and smelling the roses along the way now.

This for me has a been a very hard lesson to learn. I've spent to much time in the "digital...I want it now!...age."

Bummer, Chief! I did that a few weeks back (only snicked off the edge of my finger, but it's still jarring), and then made a seriously bad decision on the strength of the first one and gave myself a worse cut than ever on the other hand. It definitely complicated leatherworking for a week or two.

I read somewhere that a champagne cork (yer actual cork, not plastic) makes a good support when using an awl, though I have yet to try it myself

I read somewhere that a champagne cork (yer actual cork, not plastic) makes a good support when using an awl, though I have yet to try it myself

I can confirm this. It works really well. I use it on usually at the corners of items where it is hard to support the item with your fingers.

look at the positives.

If you stab your thumb with your awl & didn't feel it going in you know your awl is sharp/polished enough