Greg528it

Large Oblong Punch For Holsters

So far I've been using a circle punch at either end of the belt loop in the holsters, and connect with a knife. I do not make very many. BUT.. it seems a single large oblong punch would be sweet. Of course I looked at Tandy, they have one that is 1.5" and while most belts are 1.5" or less, there are a few either really thick 1.5" belts or 1.75" belts. Who has a 1.75" - 2" oblong punch? Is it problematic to drive square? Does anyone re stamp with a smaller oblong? punch thru, slide down a bit and re punch?

Thanks

(and yes :( my maker mark was angled a bit and I got the edge. :(

post-50414-0-47152000-1402374792_thumb.j

Edited by Greg528it

C.S. Osborne makes something called a bag punch, and they come in up to 2 inches.

My bag punch was made from a piece of electrical conduit, . . . sharpened on a belt sander, . . . and pounded down to a flattened 5/16 by 1 1/2 inch oblong hole.

I make the 1 1/2 inch hole, . . . then place the heel of the punch about 3/16 from one end, . . . ease the rest of the punch down into the hole already made, . . . then gently tap, tap, tap, until I get the other 3/16 or so cut out.

My total cost for the punch was something in the neighborhood of maybe 1/3 of a cent for the electric to sharpen the conduit and the lights to watch myself do it.

Now I've only punched a couple hundred holes with this punch, . . . so it may not hold up in the long run, . . . but that's OK, . . . I can make another in all of about 5 minutes.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight I love that idea! I've always wanted a bag punch but I rarely have a need for it so I haven't been willing to spend the money for one. But I think I can find a piece of spare conduit somewhere. Did you have any trouble getting your sides to be straight and parallel on the punch? Is there a trick to that?

Dwight I love that idea! I've always wanted a bag punch but I rarely have a need for it so I haven't been willing to spend the money for one. But I think I can find a piece of spare conduit somewhere. Did you have any trouble getting your sides to be straight and parallel on the punch? Is there a trick to that?

Bob, Just use a piece of metal bar stock that is the width that you want your punch slot to be.....and use it to shape the punch on. You only need to use it when you are getting close to the final oblong shape. If you have a stout metal vise and a torch, it is even easier than hammering.....to use them.

A few further suggestions: 1 The slugs need to be cleared from the tube afer every few holes, or at least poked on one end so they go into the round tube and do not jam up the tool. 2. It is difficult to find conduit, that, when reformed to an oblong shape, will produce the exact length of slot you want, so it is advisable to make several in each width size that are just U-shaped...then you can punch 3/4, or so, of the slot.....turn your punch around......lay it in the lines already cut, and finish the slot to length. 3. You need to have a cap/plug to fit the other end of the punch to protect your mallet, maul, or whatever kind of rock you use.

Great idea Dwight. My buddy has a bunch of tubing, we'll try that. I did the math,, 1.25" dia tube should ne me a 1.75" long by 5/16" wide slot.

The suggestion to use a torch on the conduit is a VERY bad idea, . . . conduit (galvanized metal) has a zinc type coating, . . . heating it very hot will expel nasty fumes, . . . you will gag, choke, puke, and mention some otherwise "not nice" words if you happen to get a lung full of those fumes.

Secondarily, . . . there is not much temper in conduit, . . . but there is some, . . . so when sanding it sharp, . . . take your time, . . . don't get it very hot.

This picture shows some of the punches I've made for various things I do, . . . the belt slot punch is the one on the far right hand side.

Plus, . . . none of them have anything on their tops, . . . except the sanded and smoothed end of the conduit. If you keep it fairly sharp with a round file and/or sandpaper, . . . you will not hurt your maul or mallet.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-34144400-1402452492_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

The suggestion to use a torch on the conduit is a VERY bad idea, . . . conduit (galvanized metal) has a zinc type coating, . . . heating it very hot will expel nasty fumes, . . . you will gag, choke, puke, and mention some otherwise "not nice" words if you happen to get a lung full of those fumes.

May Dog bless,

Dwight

No, it is not a bad idea. There is no need to get it that hot.

Yes, galvanized metal will give off fumes if you get it hot enough to weld or braze it. That is a temperature over 750 degrees Farenheit. But just as you can solder it at a temperature of about half of that, you can also heat conduit to a range lower than the 750 degrees which will make it easier to form and shape. I have done it plenty of times to swage or bell the end of a piece of conduit with no problem.

Secondarily, . . . there is not much temper in conduit, . . . but there is some, . . . so when sanding it sharp, . . . take your time, . . . don't get it very hot.

This picture shows some of the punches I've made for various things I do, . . . the belt slot punch is the one on the far right hand side.

Plus, . . . none of them have anything on their tops, . . . except the sanded and smoothed end of the conduit. If you keep it fairly sharp with a round file and/or sandpaper, . . . you will not hurt your maul or mallet.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank You Dwight for sharing all that really good info & picture of your punches... That is Verrrry Cool.

For those not as industrious or talented as Dwight, Weaver sells bag punches, I bought the 1.75" one from them and I'm thinking about getting a 2" but the 1.75 does most holsters really well. Most folks wear a 1.5" belt with their carry holsters. They are a bit pricey, I think I paid ~$75.00 for the one I got, course they got the expensive ones too, they go for about $125.00 if I remember right.

Chief

Thanks Dwight, I think I'm inspired enough to try and make a conduit punch! And thanks WyomingSlick too!