sgandy

How Do You Create Those Sine Wave Curves For Western Borders?

That's really more of a scroll pattern. He probably marks the center and the the number of peaks from the center to each end. use a French curve to establish the arc. I would do it on poster board until you find a design you like. Don't forget to introduce yourself................ :cowboy:

Bob Park - who owns that one - might just chime in on this one, but I'm wondering why you think they aren't 'hand drawn'? If you know the size you want, you can freehand, use a stencil, drawing / drafting templates, I've even heard of people using dinner plates or coffee cans to create a radius.

Sorry, I figure they probably are "hand drawn" which is what I'm trying to figure out... I just meant not freehand... they're too symmetrical to not have some template or guide of some sort. I've seen this done plenty, and it's always very nicely done so I was just trying to learn how to do it.

I'll check out a french curve and see how that might work.

Try folding a paper into quarters (square quarters), draw your curved line on one quarter and then trace it onto the other side. You can have as many peaks as you like. When you unfold it after tracing there your, a perfectly centered and balance curve with peaks. You can then make a mire sturdy pattern from manila folder or light cardboard.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

Tried a French curve and it worked great! Thanks for the suggestion Bluesman!

Your welcome and don't forget to post some work............ :spoton: