I have been a member of this forum for some time, but this is my first post. I would like to thank everone who have posted all of the valuable information that has made my journey down the leather craft path much easier.

I decided to take the leap sometime back and purchase several sewing machines to make my holser making and general sewing projects easier. I am now the proud owner of a Singer 111w156. The machine however has given me some thread tension issues.

I have tried thread from 69 to 207, and the machine handles it ok except for the upper thread tension. First let say I realize this model is not made for larger thread, so I would expect to have thread tension issues with the larger size threads. However I can successfully get good stitches be maxing out the takeup spring travel and increasing the takeup spring tension. I do however have to put a considerable amount of tension on the tension spring to get a decent stitch. Is this normal for this model? Would a heavy duty cone and takeup spring help?

I have also noticed that as the thread rotates around the bobbin case the thread catches on the bobbin latch for a fraction on a second causing the thread to jump In the takeup spring. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Heavier thread does take a lot more top tension to pull the thread back up tight and pull the knot into the middle of the leather. I was surprised too! I'm not familiar with the adjustments for your machine, but you may be able to open up the latch clearance a little so it doesn't snag your thread. Sometimes it could nick and weaken your thread.

Tom

The check spring is not designed for increasing tension, though its often thought of that way. It's function is to prevent slack in the needle thread to prevent needle penetration of the thread on the downstroke of the needle bar. It should be just tight enough to remove the slack in the needle thread. To better balance tension with heavy thread, decrease the bobbin tension, take more thread wraps on all the thread eyelets, and you can even take an extra wrap around the tension post.

Regards, Eric

Tom, Eric

Thanks for the tips and advice. I was able to remove the bobbin a clean up the edges so that the thread did not catch on the bobbin. I reduced the take up spring tension and played with several different threading options to increase the thread tension in the pin and guides.

I am now happy to report that this machine sews like a champ. I was able to back off on the thread tension knob and now get excellent tension response when adjusting the tension knob. I now have very nice flat tight stitches.

I do think I need a new bobbin, mine is pretty beat up. I also need a few screws for the guides, so I guess I had better make a call to Bob.

Thanks again for your help,

Steve