DEADEYE

1850's To 1890 Saddles. Anyone Like Them Other Than Me?

You're not the only one that likes them Bud. There are a couple of guys on here that build saddles from that time period and I for one have built a couple. There is just something about them that makes you go...WOW!

Yup, I love the old style saddles and it is what I aspire to build. My second saddle will be a half seat Sam Stagg rigged saddle.

Timbo

I like these old timey saddles too! I built this one in 2006.

/ Knut

P1010209.JPG

post-5173-126771054079_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

I like these old timey saddles too! I built this one in 2006.

/ Knut

Beautiful saddle. I am going to build one soon. What tree did you use? Rick100_4563 (2).JPG

post-13963-126791018932_thumb.jpg

Beautiful saddle. I am going to build one soon. What tree did you use? Rick100_4563 (2).JPG

This one is built on an Old Time Slick Fork tree from Bowden saddle tree Co.

/ Knut

Holy Crap that looks awesome!!!!!!

Thank´s ! / Knut

I really like this saddle. What steps were taken to get those colors with the leather. (just oil and antiquing?)

HA Knut, Awesome!

I got the same tree on order from Bowden, they are putting Santa fe style hand holds in the Cantle back for me. I am going with Sam Stagg rigging, covered rings, side jockeys and tooled only with the stamps I have made. This is based on a saddle I saw in the Fleisher collection museum before they closed. I have a picture of it in a book for inspiration too. I have got the leather and I am itching for the tree to be delivered. Can't wait to get started. Seeing your saddle makes me wish it was here NOW! Nice work as always!

/Tim

See it here in the lead picture of this Magazine article

Edited by TTcustom

I really like this saddle. What steps were taken to get those colors with the leather. (just oil and antiquing?)

I have oiled the saddle twice( pure Neatsfoot oil), then put a lanoline based dressing ( grease) on top, to keep the oil in and the water out + a bit of sunshine between the clouds. No antiquing needed as the leather got a nice burnish from the tool impressions. The leather is 10/11 oz leather from Tärnsjö tannery , Sweden.

http://tarnsjogarveri.se/

/ Knut

Here is another one I built for my own use 5-6 years ago after selling my Collins reproduction. I had some pieces of black harness leather and a saddle tree lying around in the shop, so I made me a new saddle for a mountain trailride . The rigging is a " very modyfied Sam Stagg rigging" with integral front jockeys.

White rawhide trim on the horn and cantle, sewn with an invisible seam, front and back.

/ Knut

Old Timersadel3.jpg

post-5173-126842131895_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

Another one I built about 10 years ago for my own use ( the second saddle I ever made, and the first half seat), after watching a pic in the book "COWBOYS & the trappings of the old west."

The pic of that Collins saddle haunted me, so I had to do something about it to get a good nights sleep!

The pic shows yours truly and my horse "mr Gus" a Swedish coldblood trotter, saddled with the "haunt". Leather from Tärnsjö Tannery, tree from ???

/ Knut aka Old Timer

Jag o Gus 2003.jpg

post-5173-126842243181_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

Another one I built about 10 years ago for my own use ( the second saddle I ever made, and the first half seat), after watching a pic in the book "COWBOYS & the trappings of the old west."

The pic of that Collins saddle haunted me, so I had to do something about it to get a good nights sleep!

The pic shows yours truly and my horse "mr Gus" a Swedish coldblood trotter, saddled with the "haunt". Leather from Tärnsjö Tannery, tree from ???

/ Knut aka Old Timer

You have got a great model with Mr Gus there! Nice looking saddle too! Could be I have been drawn to the same haunt!

You can also see a picture of my "haunt" saddle in the book "COWBOYS & the Trappings of the Old West" also. A lot of the saddles in the book are pictures of saddles in the Fleischer Collection. The Fleischers live here and Mort is a big collector of western trappings. Once upon a time his collection of saddles, spurs and gun leather was on display at a Museum in Scottsdale that has since closed.

Edited by TTcustom

Seeing all the leather workers I have contacted are to busy to make anything for me.....................

Well..................................... it looks like I'm going to saddle making school now. cheers.gif

Edited by DEADEYE

Seeing all the leather workers I have contacted are to busy to make anything for me.....................

Well..................................... it looks like I'm going to saddle making school now. cheers.gif

Sharpen your round knife and cut off all leather that doesn´t look like an old time saddle ! banana.gif

/ Knut

I don't make many old timers but did this one in Jan. this was fun.. I made the rigging rings as the customer wanted iron rings ..... only thing was welded them with a wire feed rather than in the forge.:)

old timer small.JPG

post-5135-126866079719_thumb.jpg

I don't make many old timers but did this one in Jan. this was fun.. I made the rigging rings as the customer wanted iron rings ..... only thing was welded them with a wire feed rather than in the forge.smile.gif

A beauty ! What tree did you use?

/ Knut

A beauty ! What tree did you use?

/ Knut

I build my own so it is what I call an "Andy Knight special "which means I just made it with an idea of what I wanted to look like when finished and what type of horse wanted it to fit.

great saddles!!!i have a severe love affair with the old style saddles!!!my personal saddle is an old slik fork tall cantle and horn,i love them,i also have a collection of this era of saddles,as well as newr from famous makers,

I use to wonder what one would be like to ride, but I recently rode one that a friend had made and it was one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever sat in. That and, they just have a neat look to them.

Outstanding job. I also like the old saddles and restore many for collectors and musems. However, be very careful using one of these oldies. The gullets are

usually to narrow for modern horses. Alao the bar length behind the cntle is 1 to 1 1/2" which really tear up a horses back and his kidneys. If you like the

old style and intend to use it I strongly suggest that you order a new tree with specs to fit todays horses. Good luck and keep on working.

Here is another one I built for my own use 5-6 years ago after selling my Collins reproduction. I had some pieces of black harness leather and a saddle tree lying around in the shop, so I made me a new saddle for a mountain trailride . The rigging is a " very modyfied Sam Stagg rigging" with integral front jockeys.

White rawhide trim on the horn and cantle, sewn with an invisible seam, front and back.

/ Knut

Oldtimer, I really like your "mountain trailride" saddle. Most of my riding is packing in the mountains. That saddle looks comfortable, sturdy, and lightweight. I think I'll look at making myself something along those lines. What kind of tree did you use on that, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, and beautiful work.

Edited by thenrie

Oldtimer, I really like your "mountain trailride" saddle. Most of my riding is packing in the mountains. That saddle looks comfortable, sturdy, and lightweight. I think I'll look at making myself something along those lines. What kind of tree did you use on that, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, and beautiful work.

The tree is a HYA tree from Bowden.

I returned home yesterday from a week on the trail in the Swedish woods, so I have field tested my latest trail saddle built on a Pony Express tree from Timberline saddletrees. I aimed on to keep it as light as possible, no cosmetic leather to carry around ! and it ended at 10 kilos exactly ( ~22 lbs). I managed to find unbound Dog House stirrrups, large enough to make room for my hunting boots - and light weight !

The weather gods smiled at us and the saddle rode well so the week was a success, ( One morning there was a thin layer of ice on a pool of water and the condenced water on my diamond shelter was frosen so it is time for long johns soon! )

/ Knut

post-5173-032021800 1313435180_thumb.jpg

post-5173-091464800 1313435283_thumb.jpg

post-5173-033181300 1313435303_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldtimer

The tree is a HYA tree from Bowden.

I returned home yesterday from a week on the trail in the Swedish woods, so I have field tested my latest trail saddle built on a Pony Express tree from Timberline saddletrees. I aimed on to keep it as light as possible, no cosmetic leather to carry around ! and it ended at 10 kilos exactly ( ~22 lbs). I managed to find unbound Dog House stirrrups, large enough to make room for my hunting boots - and light weight !

The weather gods smiled at us and the saddle rode well so the week was a success, ( One morning there was a thin layer of ice on a pool of water and the condenced water on my diamond shelter was frosen so it is time for long johns soon! )

/ Knut

I named this saddle UGLY BETTY

I named this saddle UGLY BETTY

I like that one as well.