I have had a saddle McCormick. Anybody know this saddler? I think he does not build most seats.

Does anyone know the history of this saddle? What qualities were his saddles and value may have today?

Thanks to all

post-23856-0-35550300-1363185569_thumb.j

post-23856-0-05805800-1363185589_thumb.j

post-23856-0-27698500-1363185602_thumb.j

Riley & McCormick was and may still be the name of a store in Calgary, Alberta. I don't know if they had any saddlemakers in their employ at the time or brought everything in from the US. The saddle appears to be machine stamped. If you look at the tooling on the swells it is not as distinct as the skirts. I can't help you with value. These older saddles often fit narrow built horses. A saddle of this design was good for riding in the mountains, which aren't far from Calgary.

Thanks Saddlebag,

you're very kind.

No one else can give me some information?

In Calgary's early history many saddlemakers were in the employ of various retailers and at one time there were half a dozen stores producing their own saddles. I'm not sure at what point Riley & McCormick came into being. If either Riley or McCormick had been a saddlemaker, that is info I don't have altho the partners must have been skillful business men.

I just found this. Hope it helps. Founded in 1901, Riley & McCormick was providing Calgary Alberta district residents with the finest of harness, saddles and Western wear before the province of Alberta was incorporated in 1905. Riley & McCormick has been present at every Calgary Stampede since 1912. Not just interested in supplying equipment for the animals at "The Greatest Show on Earth", Eneas McCormick was one of those concerned enough to be a founder of the Cowboy Protective Association for the financial benefit of injured rodeo competitors.

History has passed by the doors of Riley & McCormick stores - pioneer missionary Father Lacombe for supplies for his orphanage; military saddles ordered for the Russian Cavalry in W.W.I; Edward, Prince of Wales, to equip his huge EP ranch; decades of entries in the Calgary Stampede Parade, a presentation cowboy outfit for Prince Charles - all part of Western Canadian pioneering and pride in Canada.

The grandchildren of Eneas McCormick still continue to provide traditional expertise and high quality goods and services. Riley & McCormick is a part of Calgary, part of the Canadian West - Calgary´s Original Western Store since 1901.

I have just learned that Riley was also part of Great West Saddlery who made saddles for the RCMP in the 1800's. You might wish to look up the history of Great West Saddlery. Their origins were in Wpg and later expanded to Calgary and Edmonton. Looking at the style of your saddle I'm wondering if Great West made it. The saddle is a good mountain saddle but many cowboys didn't care for so much fork on a saddle as it made it tough to bail out. Many of those earlier horses were broncy on a frosty morning

Edited by Saddlebag