Sign in to follow this  
cmh3821

For My Applications Is A Reverse Feed Neccesary?

happy halloween,

I am about ready to purchase my first leather stitcher. My business will be making a line of dog tack out of heavy weight latigo and bridle/harness leathers.

the machines i am looking into are (techsew/cowboy sew GA5-1 series) are offered with and without reverse. For my work all pieces will be small enough to manually rotate into the reversed position when the needle is down to lock in stitches at the end, but i am wondering if a reverse feed would be worth the additional $.

i am planning to set up whatever machine head i get on a table with a servo motor and speed reducer to increased control, but am undecided on if i need the reverse feed or not.

what do ya'll think?

thanks,

chris

The reverse is so easy and quick, I would definitely bite the bullet and get it.

ferg

For ONLY the items you're talking about making....the reverse is probably a luxury that you can justify omitting. BUT....like Ferg said, it's so dang convenient. If you eventually move into doing some harnesses for animals, even if it's just on a custom order basis, you'll love having it. There's also the distinct probability that once you start selling things that are made on a heavy stitcher.....people will show up wanting to know if you can repair X.

In the long run, if you can afford to go ahead and get the reverse option, you'll be better off.

A perfect example: Earlier this morning, I was finishing a custom sheath. The belt loop needed stitching, so I readied my new-ish Tippmann Boss, and ran a line of 4 stitches. Then over one, then eyeballed the spacing for the second line going backwards because I couldn't swing the body of the sheath inside the small throat capacity. Having a reverse capable machine would have meant perfectly spaced stitches that match the ones below it.

happy halloween,

I am about ready to purchase my first leather stitcher. My business will be making a line of dog tack out of heavy weight latigo and bridle/harness leathers.

the machines i am looking into are (techsew/cowboy sew GA5-1 series) are offered with and without reverse. For my work all pieces will be small enough to manually rotate into the reversed position when the needle is down to lock in stitches at the end, but i am wondering if a reverse feed would be worth the additional $.

i am planning to set up whatever machine head i get on a table with a servo motor and speed reducer to increased control, but am undecided on if i need the reverse feed or not.

what do ya'll think?

thanks,

chris

Well.... "It is better to have it and not need it ....than need it and not have it"...........

i went without a reverse for a long, but i have it on 2 machines and am i Happy.

ya'll brought up some really good points. i might as well go for it. its already gonna cost me a considerable chunk of change so i figure having the reverse for not much more on top of the total setup price will be really usefull. i'm thinking that the minute or so i'd save over manually rotating the piece by using the reverse feed will pay for the feature in timesaving over a couple hundred leashes.

Well.... "It is better to have it and not need it ....than need it and not have it"...........

i went without a reverse for a long, but i have it on 2 machines and am i Happy.

I must agree with this. We barely even sell the non-reverse model anymore for this reason.

Call us if you need anything, Chris !

Ron