I just started making leather holsters. I have been making kydex ( a thermo plastic) for a while now. Check out some of my designs. Any help and criticism

photo2-3.jpgphoto1-2.jpg would be greatly appreciated.

JUST started!!!!! Those look great.

fantastic ! i love them !

never been a fan of guns but as far as your work, it looks pretty good. Only thing I noticed is on the top picture, doesn't look like you burnished the edges which would make it look smoother. But your stitches look evenly spaced and straight along with the rest of the work looking pretty good.

never been a fan of guns but as far as your work, it looks pretty good. Only thing I noticed is on the top picture, doesn't look like you burnished the edges which would make it look smoother. But your stitches look evenly spaced and straight along with the rest of the work looking pretty good.

Thanks for the critique I'm still working on the burnishing thing, i think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy some quality burnisher tools. The ones I use are home made and work but not to my satisfaction.

I would appreciate it, and I'm sure most of us would, if you would keep your comments regarding your like or dislike of things not part of the original post, to yourself.

Do you shape the leather with a vacuum mold, or wet form it. Also do you have gun molds to help with the patterning/shaping? I've been looking for some, but have been unsuccessful.

Your work look like an experienced craftsman did them, not a beginner. Very nicely done!

Dan

i use the actual firearms if I can. I have purchased some blue guns but i prefer the real thing. I wet form by hand the leather after all the stitching is done and before i color it. Some times you have to dye it and then do the forming but thats rare.

http://www.blueguns....stributors#ohio

this is where you can find a local shop to get the molds from if you want to. Thanks for the complement.

post-48985-0-08874700-1391604460_thumb.j

post-48985-0-74543100-1391604467_thumb.j

post-48985-0-81552400-1391604488_thumb.j

I would appreciate it, and I'm sure most of us would, if you would keep your comments regarding your like or dislike of things not part of the original post, to yourself.

Indeed.

We get that a lot in the UK.

So everyone knows, Halitech sent me a personal apology even though he didn't have to. He wanted to make sure he didn't offend me in any way. I don't believe he meant anything derogatory by his statement.

Excellent work, I really like them. The molding is very crisp. I do have a question though. On the first picture it looks like deep moulding around the trigger. Is there any risk of the trigger being pulled when the gun is being put into the holster?

Do you wrap the gun in clingfilm or similar when moulding?

Not to hijack this thread, Steel horses when you say you can't find holster molds are you looking for particular models or are you trying to find cheaper used molds. Rob is a member on these forums and has bluegunstore.com has some of the best prices and includes shipping in the price. Duncans Outdoors sell cast aluminum molds, knifekits.com sells a few models. Bunkhouse tool company sells single action and western gun molds as well as a few modern gun molds. Multi holsters sells molds with sight track (prices are a little high but some of the prep work has been done http://www.multiholsters.com/Molds.htm If you look under for sale misc. Look for a post by Jared he makes holster molds and has a limited selection but is building the selection as he gets a hold of different guns. Found the link http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48865

Edited by camano ridge

I want to thank everyone for the huge amount of information concerning gun molds. I'm not looking for anything in particular at this time, but as custom orders come in, I will be picking some up as I go. Thanks again.

Again, fantastic work on the holsters is fantastic!

Dan

I agree with the others, very nice work. Just need a little more attention on the edges.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Excellent work, I really like them. The molding is very crisp. I do have a question though. On the first picture it looks like deep moulding around the trigger. Is there any risk of the trigger being pulled when the gun is being put into the holster?

Do you wrap the gun in clingfilm or similar when moulding?

no danger on the trigger being depressed. as you push the gun into the holster the front edge of the trigger guard pushes the leather apart until it reaches its destination fully seated into the holster and it "snaps"into place. I like very positive retention, but i hate thumb breaks and similar things so i like very deep definition, one of the reasons i really like kydex. No i do not wrap the gun in cling form, i put them into 2 plastic sandwich bags so i can reuse it for the next one and so forth.

Ah ok, that makes sense. :)

Very impressive work, especially for someone new to the craft. I'm impressed.