TomG

What Size Thread To Use

When making purses from upholstery and garment weight leather, what size thread, needle and stitch length do you recommend for machine sewing the seams?

How about 3/4 oz vegtan?

Thanks

I use upholstery thread from Joann Fabric, . . . run it in a simple home type sewing machine for the most part.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey Dwight. Hmm.. I didn't think the upholstery thread would actually be strong enough, but rethinking it, I guess it would be close to the #69 thread. I did my first test sewing with 138, size 23 needle on a Singer 111W155. And still got a machine stall when I went over the bottom seam where 4 layers met (3oz ea).

This is only my second bag, and I learned a lot so far. It's one of Arthur Porter's tutorial designs. It's the gusset-less one. First, I got stingy with the amount of selvege, and sewed too close to the edge. And because of this, I didn't flatten that side seam at the bottom, and had to sew the 4 layers instead of just 3. Made a big difference.

I'll give the upholstery thread a test and see how it does in the small machine...

BTW, have you ever used that clear poly "fishing line" thread on a machine?

I use size 138 thread because I want the stitching to be pronounced. 69 thread or thinner is what is used on lots of mass-produced items. The weight of thread and stitching spacing depends a lot on the look you are going for, the type of purse/bag and it's intended audience and use, strength, etc. You could always pick a starting point and adjust from there, say, 69 thread and 10 spi then see if you want thicker or longer stitches, and go from there.

I been making leather bags with a canvas liner

mostly use 92 thread 20 needle. my consew 206 seems to like the combo

I have made 4-5 bags/purses, and I use #138 thread and a #22 needle on my consew 206. 138 might be a bit big unless you want to really see the stitches. I am thinking abou moving to size 92 for future bags.

138 looks good on topstitch