carr52

makers stamps

Awhile back some one posted that they were starting a makers stamp collection. Well I now have one of my own. I ordered it from "Grey Ghost Graphics" out of Myrtel Beach SC. I ordered it on Friday and got it today, Saturday. It works great. It cost $55.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. I got the 1" one.

Tom

Carr, hit that puppy on a peice of leather and send a picture. You know that we all love pictures. I hope to get one pretty soon myself. Billy P

It's taking me a while to get the hang of it but I'm pleased with the results.

Tom

IMG_0152.JPG

post-6291-1233676478_thumb.jpg

It's taking me a while to get the hang of it but I'm pleased with the results.

Tom

IMG_0152.JPG

Doesn't having your very own maker's stamp make you feel like a somebody? :)

I love mine, but usually can't get a clean impression. Don't know if it's the stamp or the mallet making things bounce, and I usually end up with multiple impressions with only one WHACK on the stamp.

Hilly

Edited by Hilly

I was told by one of the guys that makes Delrin maker stamps (not sure if it was Jeff Mosby, or the guy that made mine who's name I wont mention) that you should use a steel hammer on the delrin stamp. I have a fairly heavy ball peen hammer that I use on mine and it helped with the double impression problem.

I was told by one of the guys that makes Delrin maker stamps (not sure if it was Jeff Mosby, or the guy that made mine who's name I wont mention) that you should use a steel hammer on the delrin stamp. I have a fairly heavy ball peen hammer that I use on mine and it helped with the double impression problem.

Thanks, Clay. I'll try a steel hammer next time, and see if it makes any difference.

I use a dead blow hammer that my beloved husband got me for Christmas. :-D

PLEASE don't use steel hammers on any of your stamps! They will not last and, once they are mushroomed, you stand the chance of chipping the tool and eating a piece of the steel or whatever your stamp is made of (watch out; you can put an eye out with that thing!) Use a weighted rawhide mallet or heavy rawhide maul. The weight will keep the bounce down and as far as the tool goes: HOLD ON TO THAT PUPPY. Its amazing that even the rawhide will start to mushroom your tools but not nearly as quickly.

You are right Harry. I wasn't suggesting using a steel hammer on a steel stamp. The stamps I was talking about are the Delrin maker stamps. Delrin is some sort of high tech plastic.

Here's another vote for a dead blow hammer.

Harbor freight $5.00 orange one works great, even for the 2d and 3d stamps!

Allen

The bounce and the double impressions is most likely caused by the surface that you are using. If the table underneather that you are beating on has some bounce that is what is causeing the double impressions. I always use my makers stamp over the heavy 4x4 leg on my cuting table that goes down to the concrete floor. That way there is s solid surface underneath that will keep the surface from bouncing. I also have a heavy 1' steel plate that I put under the leather before using my large (2" oval) makers stamp. Just a suggestion.

Randy

Awhile back some one posted that they were starting a makers stamp collection. Well I now have one of my own. I ordered it from "Grey Ghost Graphics" out of Myrtel Beach SC. I ordered it on Friday and got it today, Saturday. It works great. It cost $55.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. I got the 1" one.

Tom

Carr

could I get some contact info on Grey Ghost Graphics

thanks Carver

Carr

could I get some contact info on Grey Ghost Graphics

thanks Carver

Sure can Carver

www.greyghostgrapics.com

Phone Number (842)-903-4788 or you can use thier tool free number

Toll Free (866)-205-9810

Sure can Carver

www.greyghostgrapics.com

Phone Number (842)-903-4788 or you can use thier tool free number

Toll Free (866)-205-9810

that's http://greyghostgraphics.com/ (forgot the H in graphics at the end)

Edited by AndyL1

that's http://greyghostgraphics.com/ (forgot the H in graphics at the end)

OOPS, sorry about that. My bad. I think my fingers got ahead of my brain.

Tom

OOPS, sorry about that. My bad. I think my fingers got ahead of my brain.

Tom

Hi, I use several of these, use a steel hammer and a light tap, just once. It works just fine for me. JL