Wink

I'm Almost At The End Of My Rope...or Lace, Whatever.

I'm just trying to lace my first project with a double loop stitch and it's not coming to me very easily. I've checked out Mr. Hurst's video and another but I just can't get the lace to look right after 4 or 5 stitches. I am getting better at it with each try so I know I'll get it eventually, it's just frustrating and I can't quite pinpoint exactly where I'm going wrong.

I guess I'm venting more than asking a question. I'm gonna go home and whip up a makeshift stitching pony too to see if that helps.

K, time for a coffee and a break...

Wink

Can you post a picture of what you've laced so far and we can see if there's something we can help you with?

There's so many things to consider when lacing...distance netween holes...distance from the edge of the project...size of holes...size of lace...lace tension...

From a picture we'll be able to see all of these on your project.

Sorry Beav, I don't have photographic capabilities right now (and probably won't until Monday - long story). I suppose I was kinda hoping the lacing would come fairly easy but alas, it hasn't. I understand a little better about the variables involved and if I'm still having problems come next week, I'll gladly post and see if one of you fine folk could help me.

Maybe it's also the stress of our NHL team and new arena situation that's getting me all worked up? Maybe if we lose the Oil, I'll start cheering for the Flames!

Thanks!

Wink,

Don't know if it'll help or not, George Hurst video on lacing is pretty good. I posted a video on you tube on lacing, you can find it by going to youtube and searching for "chief31794", all my videos will come up. Some people say it helps. It is geared toward folks who know how to make the stitch and is more on the line of how to do it so that it looks good. Here is a link to the first part of the lacing video series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVa542mArA

Chief

Awesome! Thanks Chief, I'll try that out today!!

EDIT - Hey, between your's and George's help, I got it! Thanks a lot! It turns out I was letting the needle go into the loop and creating a knot (if that makes sense) and I kept rotating the lace instead of keeping it flat and straight.

Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by Wink

It is actually easy, once your understand it. Make sure you are not pulling it too tight too.

Aaron

Awesome! Thanks Chief, I'll try that out today!!

EDIT - Hey, between your's and George's help, I got it! Thanks a lot! It turns out I was letting the needle go into the loop and creating a knot (if that makes sense) and I kept rotating the lace instead of keeping it flat and straight.

Thanks a lot guys!

Wink,

Glad it helped. Like Aaron said, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and with just a little attention to detail it can be really beautiful. Make sure you post a picture of the finished product. Many people take great care with carving, tooling, and dying, then ruin the whole project by getting in too big a hurry with the lacing. I always tell people that the lacing is "part of the art" and you should be just as careful with it as with the carving, dying, etc. if that's how you choose to assemble the product. The same goes for stitching, it is also "part of the art" and should be done with great care as well. Lacing can be fun and is beautiful on some products. I think the lacing on this Bible Cover I made adds to the overall look.

Chief

post-6362-0-95291500-1350653658_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

I inherited my Dad's stuff and I remember he took great care with the lacing so I understand the relationship between lacing and the leather. I'm slightly leary of posting pics because of the relatively poor quality of the stamping, carving and dying job. But I also realize that I should only be looking for improvement, not perfection! Plus it's my first "thing" so, there ya go.

Also, that's some nice stitchin' there, Chief.

I'm slightly leary of posting pics because of the relatively poor quality of the stamping, carving and dying job.

Well, if you'd like to feel better about it, just look up some of my old stuff ;)

I'm late to the conversation, but I'm glad you got it figured out.

I inherited my Dad's stuff and I remember he took great care with the lacing so I understand the relationship between lacing and the leather. I'm slightly leary of posting pics because of the relatively poor quality of the stamping, carving and dying job. But I also realize that I should only be looking for improvement, not perfection! Plus it's my first "thing" so, there ya go.

Also, that's some nice stitchin' there, Chief.

I'm just glad there was no internet when I started, I'm pretty sure my first 40-50 projects were destined for the scrap heap, no one here criticises anyone's work regardless of the level. What you will get is constructive tips and ideas for improvement. Trust me, from Bob Park on carving to Katsass on Sewing to everyone else out here, we all had our first piece and most of em' weren't that good! We would love to see you're work and watch you progress over time. This is an extremely friendly site.

Chief

Okay, you talked me into it. :)

...no one here criticises anyone's work regardless of the level.

Yep!! We all started somewhere. I'm still shocked at the progress I've made in less than a year. I still keep those "scrap heap" pieces around to show people what I used to do when they admire my work :)