hidepounder

5x8 Organizer

Here is a project just completed for a customer. It's a standard 5-1/2"x 8-1/2" organizer with a 1" three ring binder and a tab closure. It's constructed with 7/8 oz Herman Oak for the front and back, 2 oz for the interior and a piece of 7/8 was split down to 5/6 oz for the binder. Stiffeners were installed under the lining to give it more rigidity.

After the tooling was completed and the background was dyed, it was oiled, antiqued and sealed with Neat-Lac. The interior is finger carved and sealed with Tan-Kote.

I used a French edger to "let in" the tab to the back leaf so that it is sandwiched between the back and the lining and does not create an annnoying bump on the back of the organizer. I also buried the snap inside the tab for a little cleaner look.

Everything was glued and then sewn with Rice #99 Nylon thread, top & bottom, at about 9 stitches per inch.

I appreciate all critiques and comments!

5x8_org010_L_.jpg 5x8_org009_L_.jpg 5x8_org012_L_.jpg 5x8_orgint008_L_.jpg

post-7682-1226648442_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1226648456_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1226648464_thumb.jpg

post-7682-1226648473_thumb.jpg

I think that's an outstanding job!! I don't know how you're going to find much in the way of critiques though! Did you hand sew or machine sew? The only difference I think I would have tried, would have been a magnetic closure.

Marlon

Nothing in the way of critiques. It's beautiful. Just have a construction question. What is the advantage of using the binder piece? I've tried it both ways but can't decide which is better. Seems I recall the binder just made is easier and used smaller pieces of leather.

I sure do like the look of yours! And the knife cuts on the lining is definitely taking it to the next level.

Nothing in the way of critiques. It's beautiful. Just have a construction question. What is the advantage of using the binder piece? I've tried it both ways but can't decide which is better. Seems I recall the binder just made is easier and used smaller pieces of leather.

I sure do like the look of yours! And the knife cuts on the lining is definitely taking it to the next level.

That's exactly right! It's a purely a matter of personal preference. I like to construct it this way because I can get more out of my leather, I don't have to groove and remove leather at the folds, it easier to handle the three pieces when tooling and I like the look of the binding sewn to the front and back. I think it dresses it up. Where it really makes a difference is when your doing a letter size or legal size folder...that's a big piece of leather to have to come up with and manage.

I think that's an outstanding job!! I don't know how you're going to find much in the way of critiques though! Did you hand sew or machine sew? The only difference I think I would have tried, would have been a magnetic closure.

Marlon

Thanks Marlon! That was sewn on an Artisan 797. The snap was used at the customers request.......

Thats an awesome job, Love the pattern, finish, everything.

The only thing I can see for critique is the edge dying on the flap looks off centre or something. Though it also looks like that might be intentional as part of a shading theme...

And there might have been a spot of dye on the outer spine near the top. picture 3

Thats an awesome job, Love the pattern, finish, everything.

The only thing I can see for critique is the edge dying on the flap looks off centre or something. Though it also looks like that might be intentional as part of a shading theme...

And there might have been a spot of dye on the outer spine near the top. picture 3

Thanks 8thsinner! You're right about the flap. It looks fine in real life...for some reason it does look crooked on the photo...I had to go get it out to be sure. I saw the spot that you noticed, last night, when I was posting the pic's.......it wiped off (thank goodness!) I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for sharing yet another feast for the eyes, Bob. All that knife work in the lining is just crazy. (In a good way, of course!) What weight leather are you using for the liner? Do you allow more weight for the knife work?

Kate

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm finding myself in awe of well applied swivel knife cuts. I really have to start practicing that technique! Where do you get inspiration for the knife cut designs?

Thanks for sharing yet another feast for the eyes, Bob. All that knife work in the lining is just crazy. (In a good way, of course!) What weight leather are you using for the liner? Do you allow more weight for the knife work?

Kate

Thanks Kate! That liner is just over 2 ozs. When finger cutting on that weight material, the angle of your knife blade must be greatly reduced in order to spead the cut apart and not cut through...similar to what a really dull knife does, but who can stand to us one! I got this blade from Peter Main, a few years ago, which he developed for just this use. It alows me to decorate without added a lot of bulk or weight.

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm finding myself in awe of well applied swivel knife cuts. I really have to start practicing that technique! Where do you get inspiration for the knife cut designs?

Thanks Schno! Finger cutting has been around a long, long time...a lot of western saddle toolers use it frequently on cantle bindings, latigo carriers and other places where they want to decorate but there's not much room to tool. Mostly on higher end saddles. Whenever I get stuck, I go back and look at other guys work. Rick Bean and Troy West both do a lot of finger cutting. Al Gould is another good place to look...just recently Al has been doing some one page articles in LC&SJ which have been very good.

Hi Hidepounder!

Your work is very nice - can't find any falt with it. In fact it's quite inspiring! I would like to say that although I'm generally not a fan of dyed backgrounds, I really think it makes your work takes on a 3D appearance. I also like your background work. What tool did you use around the initials?

I'm curious how long it took you to make this?

HP,

That is one good looking organizer! :thumbsup:

On the spine, I like the way the boarder intertwines turning into a leaf.

Johnny

Man you do beautiful work!

Art

Hi Hidepounder!

Your work is very nice - can't find any falt with it. In fact it's quite inspiring! I would like to say that although I'm generally not a fan of dyed backgrounds, I really think it makes your work takes on a 3D appearance. I also like your background work. What tool did you use around the initials?

I'm curious how long it took you to make this?

Hi Hilly...thanks for your kindness! There's always room for improvement though, I see things that I did in the tooling that I really would like to fix. That particular pattern really needs the dyed background to look right. Other patterns I tool, don't. The backgrounder used in the field is a small ribbed pear shader. I'm trying to get an effect similar to hewn wood there. I appreciate your comments!

HP,That is one good looking organizer! :thumbsup: On the spine, I like the way the boarder intertwines turning into a leaf.Johnny
Thanks Johnny, I appreciate it! That detail is F.O. Baird influence.
Man you do beautiful work! Art
Thanks Art, I appreciate it!

I find myself coming back just to admire your work, especially the knife work on the inside.

Art

Outstanding!! You are an inspiartion to us all. Maybe one day,,,, if I practice Real Hard & Often,,, maybe I'll get there.

Ed

Here is a project just completed for a customer. It's a standard 5-1/2"x 8-1/2" organizer with a 1" three ring binder and a tab closure. It's constructed with 7/8 oz Herman Oak for the front and back, 2 oz for the interior and a piece of 7/8 was split down to 5/6 oz for the binder. Stiffeners were installed under the lining to give it more rigidity.

After the tooling was completed and the background was dyed, it was oiled, antiqued and sealed with Neat-Lac. The interior is finger carved and sealed with Tan-Kote.

I used a French edger to "let in" the tab to the back leaf so that it is sandwiched between the back and the lining and does not create an annnoying bump on the back of the organizer. I also buried the snap inside the tab for a little cleaner look.

Everything was glued and then sewn with Rice #99 Nylon thread, top & bottom, at about 9 stitches per inch.

I appreciate all critiques and comments!

5x8_org010_L_.jpg 5x8_org009_L_.jpg 5x8_org012_L_.jpg 5x8_orgint008_L_.jpg

Turned out really nice. Very nice in fact. thanks for sharing

Outstanding!! You are an inspiartion to us all. Maybe one day,,,, if I practice Real Hard & Often,,, maybe I'll get there.Ed
Thanks Ed!
Turned out really nice. Very nice in fact. thanks for sharing
Thanks Larry!

Nice work Bob,

you incorporate so many styles without them clashing or looking "overdone" you really have a great style! thanks for sharing that piece!

I asked about you at work (Ben's Saddlery) Bruce and Arlene both remember you and your family. Bruce commented that your work is some of the finest he has ever seen. (I have to agree) they both say "Hello" and hope to see you again in March for the leather crafters show in Wickenburg.

Take care,

Rick Jorgenson

Beautiful, HP! I am also a fan of the knife work on the inside. I think that is a very nice way to compliment the great work on the outside. Thanks for taking the time to explain how you put everything together!

Crystal

Thanks Rick, thanks Crystal!

Overall very nice work on the organizer. One thing that stands out to me is that you did not do any tooling or decoration on the closure flap. With everything else decorated so nicely, and the snap covered, I feel that the flap looks unfinished.

Why did you leave the edges of the inside pockets natural and not dyed? Perhaps the edges are rolled where there is stitching? Nice finish with the creaser on the card pockets.

There is a pretty defined track from the edge of your stitcher foot; can you explain?

Your overall design has good balance and is tastefully done. You have a unique tooling design.

Keith

Overall very nice work on the organizer. One thing that stands out to me is that you did not do any tooling or decoration on the closure flap. With everything else decorated so nicely, and the snap covered, I feel that the flap looks unfinished.

Why did you leave the edges of the inside pockets natural and not dyed? Perhaps the edges are rolled where there is stitching? Nice finish with the creaser on the card pockets.

There is a pretty defined track from the edge of your stitcher foot; can you explain?

Your overall design has good balance and is tastefully done. You have a unique tooling design.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I really battled over whether or not to tool that tab....finally decided not to because of the plain edge on the binder.

On the interior, all of the sewn edges are folded...the exposed edges on the pen loops and business card pockets are all edged and slicked.

As for the presser foot tracks.....I don't know what to do there....the tooling is antiqued and finished before I assembled, because I wanted the stitching to stay white...so I couldn't rub it out much without creating damage. I sewed this on an Artisan 797AB with a harness presser foot setup and I have the same problem with my Adler 205. I would value any suggestions that you may have!

I really appreciate your comments!

Bob