fishguy

leather weight for concealment holsters

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but, what weight leather do you use for concealment holsters? I have made quite a few western and more conventional holsters out of 9-10 oz leather. Tried to do a inside the waistband holster last night out of the same stuff. It was too thick to get it to stretch right. Do you guys use 7-8 oz? Am I just not going about it in the right way?

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but, what weight leather do you use for concealment holsters? I have made quite a few western and more conventional holsters out of 9-10 oz leather. Tried to do a inside the waistband holster last night out of the same stuff. It was too thick to get it to stretch right. Do you guys use 7-8 oz? Am I just not going about it in the right way?

Right now I've been using 7/8 but think I may drop down to 6/7 for the main body. I bought some 8/9 but when I compared it to my professional made holsters I could tell it was way too heavy. The 7/8 is moulding pretty good but I'm thinking 6/7 would be easier to conceal. I carry all the time and a holster that's too bulky is a real pain to wear.

I use 7/8 for mine, too.Dave

7/8 for me too. I think anything heavier and you are going to lose some of the detail in the molding.

OK...pretty much across the board, most of the more popular custom makers use 7/8 for belt holsters and 6/7 for IWB, unless smooth lined holsters or exotic hides are involved. I use 8/9 on most of my belt holsters and 6/7 for most of my IWB, but I use other weights as well, depending on what results I want to achieve.