frankpann59

Do I Need To Put Finish(Reslone) On Before Sewing?

HI every one, My name is frank and im new to leather working.My problem is that I am making a pair of holsters, I have allready stained and put the liners in and am ready to sew them.Im going to put clear reslone on but don't know if it can go on after sewing and after burnishing edges. Could use some advice Please. thanks

HI every one, My name is frank and im new to leather working.My problem is that I am making a pair of holsters, I have allready stained and put the liners in and am ready to sew them.Im going to put clear reslone on but don't know if it can go on after sewing and after burnishing edges. Could use some advice Please. thanks

Frank,

You can do it either way. It's personal preference. I recommend applying a finish to your burnished edges however.

Bobby

Frank,

You can do it either way. It's personal preference. I recommend applying a finish to your burnished edges however.

Bobby

Thanks hidepounder that helps ease my mind.

Sometimes I dye before I stitch, . . . to get one color of stitching on a different leather color (white stitching on a black belt for example), . . . but I personally always stitch before I put on the final finish.

The reason I do that (especially if I am using Resolene) is that the Resolene will then also protect the stitches. Resolene is one hard finish, . . . it will keep your stitches cleaner much longer than they would if they don't have the Resolene finish on them, . . . it will protect them somewhat from abrasion, . . . and it will help to tuck in the ends, . . . making it much harder for the stitches to "undo" themselves.

The proceedure is something akin to: cut out the pieces, . . . glue them in place, . . . mold and form, . . . do all the edging and burnishing, . . . dye then stitch / OR / stitch then dye, . . . apply final finish. There are exceptions to doing holsters this way, . . . but it is more or less the process I use on all of them I make.

Just my $.02

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight