kayrunp

Strap End Punches Which Brand?

Hello,

I want to invest into some strap end punches. I am realizing a good tool is worth its money, but I also realize that with the strap end punch you need a few so a miffle ground would be good in price.

I was looking at those Kyoshin elle punches? how do they compare with the osborne? and the Tandy pro?

also what is your ideal surface and tool for hitting to be good to the tool, the leather and the yourself?

I have that black poundo board on a floor mounted anvil and it is getting all kinds of punches in it that are starting to imprint on the leather.

Thanks for your help!

KP

I have mostly Weaver brand strap end punches and one Jeremiah Watt's Horse Shoe Brand punches. I find the Watt punches to be slightly nicer in terms of finish and fanciness but in terms of function I find them both equal. Both are very good quality. The Weaver punches are less expensive but you need to have an account with them to buy the punches.

I bought a few of the Belgium Diecraft english point punches cause they were cheap but they were pretty much crap. The sizes were all wrong and the quality was not good at all.

I use a rubber mallet and a rubber poundo for my punching and have never had any problems. The poundo board has so many marks on it now that it looks like some piece of abstract modern art. I only use it for hole punching or strap end punching so I don't have a problem with it leaving marks in my leather. I'm not sure what you mean by imprinting on the leather. Hope that helps.

Andrew

Thank you, I will check it out.

By the way, nice briefcase you made on your gallery. Great work.

I second j watt great punches

Does anybody have any experience with modern Blanchard or Dixon irons?

At the moment I'm considering ordering a full set from Jeremiah Watt. I would like to see some in the flesh, but living in Denmark that is probably completely impossible. However what I've heard Watt tools are good.

I'm mostly using Tandy punches, and of course they're awful, but they've been getting the job done so far. However I have some vintage Dixon ones and they're way better. But unfortunately I can't buy from the past all the time, so I would like quality set from a reputable maker.

Does anybody have any experience with modern Blanchard or Dixon irons?

At the moment I'm considering ordering a full set from Jeremiah Watt. I would like to see some in the flesh, but living in Denmark that is probably completely impossible. However what I've heard Watt tools are good.

I'm mostly using Tandy punches, and of course they're awful, but they've been getting the job done so far. However I have some vintage Dixon ones and they're way better. But unfortunately I can't buy from the past all the time, so I would like quality set from a reputable maker.

The shape of modern Dixons church window punches isn't great. Haven't tried The Blanchard equivalent but will do

Charlie

I sort of figured.

I haven't been too pleased with the modern Dixon I have, and the same goes with modern Blanchard - however Blanchard still have some good items in their pricking irons and awls.

However the Barry King I've bought (edgers) has been sublime and I've heard the same about Jeremiah Watt and Weaver.

The cheap Tandy punches work fine, after taking the time to reshape and sharpen the edges. I bought an Osbourne 1 1/4" that was twice as much as the Tandy ones because Tandy didn't make a cheap one at the time, and it needed to be reground and sharpened to work properly. Basically boils down to if you are willing to work on a cheaper punch or just bite the bullet and get ones ready to work. Gump

I sort of figured.

I haven't been too pleased with the modern Dixon I have, and the same goes with modern Blanchard - however Blanchard still have some good items in their pricking irons and awls.

However the Barry King I've bought (edgers) has been sublime and I've heard the same about Jeremiah Watt and Weaver.

Simon have you got a Blanchard church window punch? Would be very interested to see a photo of the shape it cuts if so. If it isn't very good may as well buy Dixons!

Charlie

Sorry, Charlie, I wouldn't know, but I would be interested in knowing before ordering expensive chisels from the States.

My knowledge on Blanchard is mostly limited to antique tools and of more recent purchases I have some awls and pricking irons - which are all good and some knives, which have been sold on as they're not so good.

It's funny, what you refer to as a church window is referred to as English Point in most other countries.

Just got some very nice strap end punches from Bieler's. They have their own name brand that are well made and scary sharp. I'm ordering a couple more tomorrow. Very happy with Bieler's.

Is Bieler's that Amish company that's a somewhat hard to order from?

If you are planning to order from the states anyway. You might check with Bruce Johnson. He sells used, older vintage, dixon, osborne etc The stuff you buy from him is sharpand ready to go. http://www.brucejohnsonleather.com

Edited by camano ridge

Is Bieler's that Amish company that's a somewhat hard to order from?

Yes, but I've found it quite easy. You use this thing called a phone and call them. They will send a catalogue with pricing. There is an order form in the catalogue. You can either fill it out and mail it and they will call you for your payment, or just call them and they can take the order and payment at the same time.

They are courteous on the phone and ship very quickly.

Bieler's Manufacturing and Suppy

3025 Harvest Drive

Ronks, PA 17572

717-768-0174

I must concede that I'm spoiled to internet ordering as well, but I'll continue to use Bieler's.