Sign in to follow this  
The Farmers Daughter

Newbie Question ~ How Do I Do That?

Howdy Folks,

Ok here is what I need some help with because I am green as grass with saddle repair, but I want to try. Baby steps right?

We have an original Ortho Flex saddle built by Len Brown that cost a small fortune in the day, but it has many miles on it and ain't quite as pretty as it once was.

Still a good using rig. Its got all the saddle strings busted off. I want to replace them. How would I go about doing this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

It would depend on how the strings are put in........through the tree, just through the leather, or even just stuck on top with a nail. I think some of those had strings on a small clip / dee under screw back conchos also. If you could put up a photo of what you've got there it would be helpful. JW

It would depend on how the strings are put in........through the tree, just through the leather, or even just stuck on top with a nail. I think some of those had strings on a small clip / dee under screw back conchos also. If you could put up a photo of what you've got there it would be helpful. JW

Ok, lets see if I can post something....

post-12483-024806000 1304300038_thumb.jp

post-12483-057227300 1304300159_thumb.jp

It looks like from your pictures the strings go through the tree. The easy way is to remove the skirts or at least loosen them by pulling the nails.You have a couple screw back conchos on each side. You will need a concho remover for these or use pliers and wrap the concho with cloth or something to keep from damaging them. There will be two screws inside the gullet area. You can cut out the old strings, remove the conchos and the jockies. Now that you have it all torn down is a good time to do a good cleaning and oiling. If the woolskin is still good, you can split it where the strings go through the skirts and pull the old strings out and install the new ones. Then glue the wool back down where you made the cuts. Some I have seen just pull the new strings through the wool and leave them exposed, your choise. Pull the new strings through the tree and out the topside, tighten and install the jockies, conchos and do the bleed knots and install the nails and screws you removed. Hope this helps.

RC

Edited by Randy Cornelius

It looks like from your pictures the strings go through the tree. The easy way is to remove the skirts or at least loosen them by pulling the nails.You have a couple screw back conchos on each side. You will need a concho remover for these or use pliers and wrap the concho with cloth or something to keep from damaging them. There will be two screws inside the gullet area. You can cut out the old strings, remove the conchos and the jockies. Now that you have it all torn down is a good time to do a good cleaning and oiling. If the woolskin is still good, you can split it where the strings go through the skirts and pull the old strings out and install the new ones. Then glue the wool back down where you made the cuts. Some I have seen just pull the new strings through the wool and leave them exposed, your choise. Pull the new strings through the tree and out the topside, tighten and install the jockies, conchos and do the bleed knots and install the nails and screws you removed. Hope this helps.

RC

Far as I can tell, the skirts are separate from the tree. The skirts are 2 separate panels that move independently of the tree and each other. There is no fleece, but let me see if I can post a photo that shows what I am trying to explain.

Ok, the first photo shows the independent flex skirts

The 2nd show the skirts on the bottom, the silver movable joint in the middle, the tree is above that and the jockey is on top.

post-12483-071465600 1304373343_thumb.jp

post-12483-070025700 1304373437_thumb.jp

Orthofles saddles are rather difficult to remove the skirts as the moveable joint as you call it is a screw/bolt assembly which is built into the tree bars.

I recommend you just run your new strings thru the slots on seat jocket and rear jockey and replace conchos as before using a blood knot on your

strings

Far as I can tell, the skirts are separate from the tree. The skirts are 2 separate panels that move independently of the tree and each other. There is no fleece, but let me see if I can post a photo that shows what I am trying to explain.

Ok, the first photo shows the independent flex skirts

The 2nd show the skirts on the bottom, the silver movable joint in the middle, the tree is above that and the jockey is on top.

Forgot how different those Orthoflex saddles are made, I have never had one in my shop so I cannot tell you how they come apart. Sorry.

Randy