Gregory

Time For A New Wallet.. Fng In Pac Nw

Dad used to make quite a bit of leather items, when he was a teacher (college) in the 70s he sold a lot of custom items mostly purses and wallets I assume. When I was about 11 we went to a Tandy store and got some supplies- he needed a new key wallet and my older brother and I each chose a scrap of leather to make wallets from. I stenciled my name and copied a trout jumping from In-Fisherman magazine. My brother did his name and a Ferrari style stallion. Dad showed us what to do and we made our wallets. My brother promptly lost his.. Mine is still my only wallet I've ever used - nearly 30 years now.

Pops died this October, but for some reason had noticed shortly before that, that I was still using the wallet. He was pretty happy and I, quite proud. I really want to keep using it but the fold is getting tattered and some lacing has been lost. Not sure that's it's repairable. I'll do what I can and if need be make a new one. 2 wallets over the course of 1 life wouldn't be shameful, but 1 forever would be really cool. I inherited Dads wooden case with his leather tools and drawers full of stencils, patterns and a silly playboy cartoon from the 60s I'd guess.

Thanks for the forum, I'm already excited by the photos and ideas- Greg

Thank you both.

I'm just outside of Yakima, but born in Issaquah.

Lacing is relatively easy to replace as long as the holes haven't been worn through or to badly damaged. Tandy has a book describing lacing types, also a number of online places like Kingsmere crafts. I'd almost make you a bet that your dad's stuff has some lacing instructions.

Tom

Thanks northmount- I think there may be too many torn holes at the fold to relace. Perhaps I could take it apart, trim it back to the edge of where the old laces are and repunch/lace. It'd be a bit narrower but at least not garbage. I need to figure out how to post pics - then I can show off my well worn project.

Thanks northmount- I think there may be too many torn holes at the fold to relace. Perhaps I could take it apart, trim it back to the edge of where the old laces are and repunch/lace. It'd be a bit narrower but at least not garbage. I need to figure out how to post pics - then I can show off my well worn project.

Several years ago, a new wallet came back to me. A dog had chewed the corner badly. The liner was still pretty good. I peeled the corner apart, cut the badly damaged piece back, skived the edge, skived and fitted a new corner in, glued, finished and re-laced the corner. This would be close to 30 years ago. The wallet is still being used today! You may be able to carefully do the same on the fold on yours.

Tom

Well, that sounds even better than my first idea. Now I just need to figure out the skive part.

Thanks!

Greg,

My Dad did leatherwork too for many years. I remember him in the shop tooling at the workbench when I was a child. I started doing leatherwork as a way to honor my Dad.

If you do not figure out how to do the repair (I do encourage you to learn leatherwork) I would be honored to repair it for you.

Aaron

My biological father was an enigma of a man, . . . so great in many ways, . . . but not in others.

I was given his billfold, that he made, by my half-sister, . . . she thought since I do leatherwork, . . . I should have it.

Tempted to use it, . . . I resisted, . . . it's in a drawer right beside me right now, . . . it is my "link" to him.

Just glad to hear that there are a number of us who share similar stories, . . . and I certainly hope you get yours "fixed". But remember, if you don't it can always go into a drawer, . . . be retrieved from time to time, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks guys. I truly appreciate your thoughts and replys. Aaron, I am going to see if it's something I can do but if not, yours is a touching offer. Dwight, it is something that reminds me if him daily and was even when we weren't "close". Good memories. I hope to continue using it, but I definitely would keep it none the less.

Thanks again- Greg

post-48576-0-18819500-1389736186_thumb.jpost-48576-0-16448200-1389736201_thumb.jpost-48576-0-33210700-1389736212_thumb.j

Ok- Here it is. Pretty rough huh? I'm wide open to comments.

Thanks- Greg

Replacing the badly damaged leather wouldn't leave much of the original back. I would make a pattern from it and make a new one just like it. Then put this one away where it is safe and can be pulled out to look at when you want to revive good old memories.

Tom

It is pretty bad. If you want to continue using it I would cut out the lace. Glue a thin (about 2 oz) layer of leather between the inside and the outside. Lace it back togeather. It will not be too pretty, but it would retain most of the origional wallet.

Or make a new one.

Here's Dad's old box/case. Mostly craftools, and some neat little practice pieces in the drawers along with the some clear plastic letter templates, stains and lacing.

post-48576-0-89888600-1389990189_thumb.jpost-48576-0-09086500-1389990201_thumb.j

There is a bag of leather pieces too. I believe the piece I cut my wallet from is still there. It feel supple, will it be awful to tool or still useable? Is there a timeframe to "use up" leather?

I think I'll make a new wallet and try to repair the old one too. My twin boys are excited to learn too.

Had to include Dad's cartoon, hidden under the lid..

Thanks again- Greg