khoiphan92

How to set segma snaps?

Hi guys, i was wondering how i would set a segma snap? i know theres two but the one i mean is the female one? its trickier then the other one because everytime i hit it, it bends... i do have a setter but its only the pointy tip shaped like a pencil and a concave (if thats the right word) anvil. any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are belt snaps and glove snaps. Be sure to use the right size. It takes practice to know how hard to smack the setter. I've tried a half dozen setters over the years and not real satisfied with any of them. I have tto set a snap two or three times before I get it right. Maybe just me.

There are belt snaps and glove snaps. Be sure to use the right size. It takes practice to know how hard to smack the setter. I've tried a half dozen setters over the years and not real satisfied with any of them. I have tto set a snap two or three times before I get it right. Maybe just me.

thanks for the reply but how would i exactly set it in?

thanks for the reply but how would i exactly set it in?

Punch an appropriately sized hole, but the back part on the back of the leather and poke it through the hole, put the top part on the bottom part, put the setter on top of it, and gently tap with your mallet.

Harry, For what it is worth, I don' think it is just you. I have had hell trying to set belt snaps for the last couple years. Something seemed to have changed. I never had problems before that when I had the wholesale orders thank God. Sometimes I will have to set the female side 4-5 times to get one that would hold. I have 5 or 6 setters and about that many anvils to play with. Everytime I thought I had the right combination, the next one wouldn't hold. I accidentally got the combination before Christmas. I picked up the glove setter and used it to set belt snaps. Dead on sticky fit. That pleasing crisp snap when it goes in and and out. I am not sure if the snaps changed, but this is working for me and I am not one to argue with success.

I think it all depends on the type of snaps that you get. I use to use the snaps from tandy and I could never get them to set right, it was frustrating. Then a friend of mine told me to use the snaps from Ohio Travel Bag. They set like a charm, I have not had a problem setting them since I got them. I would try them.

Ash

I found that using a set of dies in a press is the way to go. There will be 4 dies (two sets) that you would use on your snaps. Of course different size dies for the different size snaps. Once you have your press dialed in . . . it's a snap! I have two vintage foot presses that will always have a home in my shop.

Harry, For what it is worth, I don' think it is just you. I have had hell trying to set belt snaps for the last couple years. Something seemed to have changed. I never had problems before that when I had the wholesale orders thank God. Sometimes I will have to set the female side 4-5 times to get one that would hold. I have 5 or 6 setters and about that many anvils to play with. Everytime I thought I had the right combination, the next one wouldn't hold. I accidentally got the combination before Christmas. I picked up the glove setter and used it to set belt snaps. Dead on sticky fit. That pleasing crisp snap when it goes in and and out. I am not sure if the snaps changed, but this is working for me and I am not one to argue with success.

I realize I'm half a year behind this topic, but I'm having severe issues with the cap staying on the female end of my segma snaps. When you say you sed the glove setter, what do you mean? I have the glove/segma kit from tandy. Are you talking about that pointy tool that looks like a pencil?

Sara,

This thread is from 2009 and I still do snaps the same. I am not home to give setter numbers. I meant that I use the setter that goes into the socket to set them. My setters are pretty old, but don't look like a pencil. They are kind of rod with a tip surrounded by a concave rim. My belt snap setter has some number and the letter "B". My glove snap setter has a smaller post on the end and has the suffix "G". I use the "G" setter for the belt snaps (should be using "B" setter ) and the caps seat better and the snaps stay closed better, at least for me.

Sara,

This thread is from 2009 and I still do snaps the same. I am not home to give setter numbers. I meant that I use the setter that goes into the socket to set them. My setters are pretty old, but don't look like a pencil. They are kind of rod with a tip surrounded by a concave rim. My belt snap setter has some number and the letter "B". My glove snap setter has a smaller post on the end and has the suffix "G". I use the "G" setter for the belt snaps (should be using "B" setter ) and the caps seat better and the snaps stay closed better, at least for me.

Oh wow, i didn't even look at the year, geez.

I've attached a pic of the setters I have. Can you point out which one it is when you get a chance? I can wait until you are home for numbers or whatever. I ruined two packs of snaps today, I'm in no rush to ruin more without knowing what I'm doing (apparently).

The problem may be that now they are selling a kit that sets BOTH glove and belt snaps. There's only one for the female end for both kinds.

From left to right in the pic: male end setter for belt snaps, universal female end setter for glove and belt snaps, male (I think??) end setter for glove snaps, cheap eyelet setter, line 20 snap setter, line 24 snap setter, nice eyelet setter.

post-20464-090735400 1308697213_thumb.jp

These are literally all the setters I have that i think would be useful. None of them have numbers on them.

Edited by Sarah C

Sara,

I use one like the second from the left, but in the old days they made one for glove snaps and one for belt snaps. As far as the caps staying on, I use an anvil with the concave dish on one end and the hole to set the stud on the other. There is kind of a magic thickness of leather that lets the female part of the snap collapse into the cap and the scallops on the cap will crimp on the mushroomed socket end. Too thin and the socket collapses too much and the stud won't seat. Too thick and the cap won't grab. Like Ashley mentioned, the other suppliers snaps do better sometimes too.

Okay, thanks. I'm just loathing to have to buy all new tools and snaps again, but it looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. Thanks for all your help!

The best way to set Tandy's segma snaps is to set them in a trash can.

My best guess is that you have to set them on a surface with roughly the resistance of another planet. Any bounce or give in the setting process will foil you. This includes the bounce provided by a dish towel between the setting surface and a kitchen table. Seriously...I cannot figure these things out. Thinking about trying Snapsource prong snaps? Pearl might be nice.

Edited by Smashtoad

Okay, thanks. I'm just loathing to have to buy all new tools and snaps again, but it looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do. Thanks for all your help!

I'll admit to being FAR from most experienced -

I'm using this Tandy set for my Segma snaps and rapid rivets.

I put couple pieces of paper on anvil because I was worried about marking.

After the Tandy snaps were set I needed to breakin by using pliers to close first time.

There is a onsite T vid of some old guy named Hurst demoing :specool:

Item #8105-00

This is the best universal snap and rivet setter offered anywhere. Sets Multi Purpose Segma Type Fasteners #1250, Line 20 Fasteners #1261, Line 24 Fasteners #1263, Rapid Rivets and Double Cap Rivets.

Smashtoad:

My best guess is that you have to set them on a surface with roughly the resistance of another planet. Any bounce or give in the setting process will foil you. This includes the bounce provided by a dish towel between the setting surface and a kitchen table. Seriously...I cannot figure these things out. Thinking about trying Snapsource prong snaps? Pearl might be nice.

Well yes, I did have best results when I used a concrete block sitting idrectly on floor, but T employee showed me how to set double caps using the anvil on cutting table (admit she had to give couple wacks).

PS: NOT affiliated in anyway w/ Tandy

Edited by stanly