jwo825

Question About Awl Angle

Still brand new to this so I've mostly just been practicing the saddle stitch on some scrap vegtan I picked up at Tandy. I've gotten to where I can make a good stitch front and back and am even getting some consistency stabbing with the awl but I have a question. Searched the forums for about an hour and haven't found an answer so here goes.

Assuming we're looking at the front side where the awl stabs. I've been working from left to right. Should the hole be slanted forward like

1) / / / / / / ----------> Or

2) \ \ \ \ \ ------->

I've tried it both ways and it seems that method 1 gives more angle to the stitch and method 2 gives a straighter line. Both look good and uniform, but is one method preferred over the other.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Honestly, whatever makes the stitch you like is the right way. You will find people that say one way and those that say the other way. Do what looks good to you. They are both a good stitch.

In the UK factory's your number 1 is for two needles /double stitch. Your number 2 is for when we do a one needle / back stitch

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's just a style thing, then. I just wanted to make sure one way of doing it ddin't make the stitch weaker or the leather prone to tearing and such.