soarin

College Project

Hey everyone! First I want to say that this is a great sub and though I have not posted anything yet I do plan to in the future but to the reason I am posting now. I am in college and for one of my classes I need to write a paper about a New Leisure Activity and I chose leatherworking. I need to Interview people who are active leatherworkers but I don't know any in my area (Southeast Missouri). If you could answer a few questions that would be great!

1) Why do you participate in leatherworking?

2) What would you say the demographic makeup of the community is?

3)Why do you enjoy leatherwork?

4) Any other thing you would like to say about the activity?

I would like to thank anyone who replies to this as it is greatly appreciated

Edited by soarin

Oh I will take a stab at this

1. Leather working is a relaxing, fun hobby for me. I use it to unwind from work and life stress and it allows me to be creative while making useful products.

2. The demographic of this community is all over the map. From full time high end saddle and holster makers to recreational hobbyists. Education and income levels also vary widely (there is a "what do you do for a living" thread in the forum). I am a professional in healthcare with two University degrees.

3. I enjoy making custom and fun products for my family and friends. I love working with leather; its smell, touch and feel and how malleable a medium it can be to make a vast assortment of goods through an immeasurable number of techniques. It also serves to feed my lust for cool tools and machinery and the need to spend all my disposable income

4. There are so many things to learn and projects to tackle. Most Christmas gifts I give this year will be hand made. Although it is not an inexpensive hobby, it is easy to get into and so much to learn. This is a great website to aid that.

Hope that helps, Scott

Oh I will take a stab at this

1. Leather working is a relaxing, fun hobby for me. I use it to unwind from work and life stress and it allows me to be creative while making useful products.

2. The demographic of this community is all over the map. From full time high end saddle and holster makers to recreational hobbyists. Education and income levels also vary widely (there is a "what do you do for a living" thread in the forum). I am a professional in healthcare with two University degrees.

3. I enjoy making custom and fun products for my family and friends. I love working with leather; its smell, touch and feel and how malleable a medium it can be to make a vast assortment of goods through an immeasurable number of techniques. It also serves to feed my lust for cool tools and machinery and the need to spend all my disposable income

4. There are so many things to learn and projects to tackle. Most Christmas gifts I give this year will be hand made. Although it is not an inexpensive hobby, it is easy to get into and so much to learn. This is a great website to aid that.

Hope that helps, Scott

Thanks for responding! Will be putting this in my paper. On a seperate note do you know anyone in southeast Missouri that could show me how they do things? (long shot I know lol) Will be in St. Louis soon too so if you know anybody there that would be great too!

1) Why do you participate in leatherworking?

I participate in leather working because it allows me to explore different ideas. Leather can be formed, carved, stamped, bent, branded and I am sure there are other methods I haven't thought of yet. It is one medium that keeps me entertained.

2) What would you say the demographic makeup of the community is?

Leather workers typically run the gambit. There are members here at LW that are in their teens and some that are octogenarians.

3)Why do you enjoy leatherwork?

It's a creative a outlet that has the a long history. The projects are typically useful and beautiful at the same time. If I need something like a sheath or a belt I can make it. Which is brought me back to this craft after some 30++ years, my husband needed a belt.

4) Any other thing you would like to say about the activity?

It teaches patience.

Good luck on your project. Check out the leather workers on Youtube if you can't find a local. You might also call your closest Tandy Store to interview someone. Most of those folks are leather workers too.