Wanderinstar

Diamanté Belt Buckle

Just starting up in leathercraft. As I got sone pink leather from scrapbin at local supplierI thought I would make a belt for the wife. She has now said that she wants a diamanté buckle on it. Have seen buckles on the net, but they seem to be for use with ribbons at weddings.

Does anyone know where I could get such a buckle in theUK?

Thanks

Ok, so no one knows of anywhere in UK. How about over your side of the pond. My cred with the wife is going downhill fast. Do they make these buckles or am ILooking for the holy grail?

Ian.

Not sure exactly what she's looking for, but I typed in diamante buckle on Google and got a bunch of stuff - mostly belts that include one. Might be the way to go.

http://www.janenorman.co.uk/fcp/product/buy-fashion-look-fabulous/belts/diamant%C3%A9-buckle-belt/14773?colour=black

Are you looking for a particular shape? Something called a "diamonte buckle" in my neck of the woods is just a gemmed ring with a bar across the middle, and meant for holding a scarf around the neck or waist--is that what you want?

If you're wanting a buckle pave set or studded with crystals, especially something that looks like what I'd call a trophy-style or rodeo-style buckle, try looking for Swarovski Crystal belt buckles, and see if anything like what your wife wants pops up.

Thanks folks. Seems I was putting the wrong thing in Google.

Winter bear, she hasn't,t expressed a preference to shape. Think she said that thinking I wouldn't,t be able to get one. I,ll show her. Those slider things to go on ribbons are all that came up for me. Won't Swasovski be expensive? Don't they make scopes for rifles?

Ian.

Swarovski buckles vary in price depending on the size of the buckle, the number of crystals used, colors, pattern (single row or accent vs. pave' set or total encrustation), the metal of the buckle, and other factors. But a variety of very nice buckles can be obtained in my area in a number of styles and patterns for $40 to $80. You'll see prices in the $100 to $400 and up range as well, but those are generally ones being sold through boutiques or as designer items rather than those sold by suppliers.

I'm not sure about the optics--they may be from the same parent company, but different branches? Couldn't say for certain...

I do like the Swarovski "rhinestones" because of the quality--if it is a genuine Swarovski rhinestone, it is going to have a lot of fire and a good cut. This makes the prices higher than for just a "crystal" buckle, but those are hit and miss as far as quality. I've seen some off-brands and imports that just looked awful--no life to the crystal because the crystals were cloudy, poorly cut, and indifferently set. And I've seen some non-Swarovski buckles that had good crystals and a good set as well. It just depends, I guess.

By the way, you can also get spots to set into the belt leather as well. http://www.standardrivet.com/swarovski-elements/mounted/133-mounted-brilliant-swarovski-crystals.php for instance...

Thank you for that Winterbear. Tink I may have to give Swarovski a miss as

I am on sickness benefit at the moment. Big C.. But I will try looking for belts rather than buckles alone.

But I will try looking for belts rather than buckles alone.

most of my buckles come from 50 cent belts I pillage from the thrift stores. Might be worth a shot to save some cash. You can also get good lace that way by finding the braided belts and pulling them apart :)

most of my buckles come from 50 cent belts I pillage from the thrift stores. Might be worth a shot to save some cash. You can also get good lace that way by finding the braided belts and pulling them apart :)

This. This is a good idea. Also look at brooches, bracelets, purse decorations, fashion rings and pendants, and hair ornaments. A lot of them can be salvaged and attached to a buckle blank with a little careful use of something like JB Weld, or you can just add Chicago screw hardware.

This. This is a good idea. Also look at brooches, bracelets, purse decorations, fashion rings and pendants, and hair ornaments. A lot of them can be salvaged and attached to a buckle blank with a little careful use of something like JB Weld, or you can just add Chicago screw hardware.

Yeah, I look kind of crazy going to the the thrift store looking like I do and picking through the purses and belts like an old lady on Black Friday. What can I say? Purses are $1.50 and usually have good hardware and sometimes good lining leather. Belts are 50 cents and either come with buckles and keepers, or lace, or sometimes even conchos and other decorative hardware :). I usually buy up half the rack in one shot.