ramrod

Bow String Wax

i've been wanting to put together a batch of code, so i've ordered up some rosin from a musicians supply store. but i also noticed that one of "my favorites" on my computer is a place called 3 rivers archery. now i know why i have it in my favorites - i opened a window into their bow string wax. it's premade (and tacky it appears) and used by bow makers to put together their bowstrings. has anyone ever used it for bowstrings? if so, could it be used for waxing our linen thread? i'm probably going to order up a batch if my cooking skills go down the toilet.

actually bow string wax would be an excellent choice for waxing thread for sewing leather. probably a little more expensive than bees wax though.

even if it were more expensive, i would think that the time and effort to make a batch of beeswax / rosin / oil would be offset by just about any cost. this stuff is premade. no muss no fuss.

thanks for your opinion, st8line.

http://www.binghamprojects.com/proddetail.php?prod=1721

One more option. I ordered 3 from them and they were very accommodating on the shipping, padded envelope for something like $3. Works really well on my Barbour's, nice and tacky plus I like the smell

I used to make bow strings and most of the wax is synthetic and designed for modern synthetic fibers. It's designed to hold the fibers together after the string is made. A small strip of leather is run up and down, like a slicker, to melt the wax and remove and excess. I wouldn't think it was a good alternative to bees wax for stitching and it's $$.

Cya!

bob

The stuff from Bingham's states its rosin and beeswax

This is used for making string for traditional bows often using natural fibers.

This is the stuff I use:

71vi6KXivUL._SL1500_.jpg

i personally don't think it's expensive. i guess i'm thinking more about convenience than anything. it's premade and ready to go. i'm thinking about trying some.

I've been known to use "Chapstick" it works and keeps my lips right!