Is there anyone here who has tried to, or heard of, taking a few granite tiles a gluing them together with either epoxy or liquid nails to make your own stone for stamping (rather that buying a more expensive solid piece)? I know the tiles can be bonded together, but will they stay together after repeated use?

Pssst. Go to the granite counter top place and ask to rifle through their off cuts and stuff they are throwing away. A kitchen sink cut out is ideal.... and I got mine for $10. I also got a bath sink cut out for FREE. You can also get head stones from the stone workers who do that... Those are heavier and may cost a bit more... but typically they can be had fairly cheap if you have a sturdy truck and a couple buddies to help you load and haul them.

Mine's a 15 x 24 sink cutout that was free by going to the local granite counter shop. Turns out they actually pay someone by weight to come pick up all the remnants, so I saved them money by doing it. If you already have the tiles, give it a try until you can get to a granite shop and smooth talk them.......or just say "do you have any scrap I can have"

That's interesting, Allen. I wonder what they would do if someone came with a huge flat bed trailer and wiped out their scrap?

That's interesting, Allen. I wonder what they would do if someone came with a huge flat bed trailer and wiped out their scrap?

If they realize there is a market, even a small one, they will probobly want to get something for it. Then again, depending on the situation, they may just shake your hand and tell you to have at it.

Another option. Swing by your local funeral home, they quite often have a headstone that's either dropped and chipped, or sometimes the wrong info on them, or even being replaced, and they are no good to them. My wife works at a funeral home and there's lots of scrap granite. Best it gets some use, they usually just have a pile of them :)

Be prepared though, these are usually pretty thick.

Edited by mogwild

It helps greatly to show the the CASH you have while you ask if they have any SCRAP you can BUY... emphasis on BUY & SCRAP

Also you get _major_ points if you go back a few days later with a dozen or so Krispy-Kreme donuts...

A simple solution is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy two of their 12x12 concrete paving blocks and a 12x12 granite floor tile. Glue the Granite to one of the concrete blocks and stack the pair onto the other concrete block. Whole set-up should cost just under 10 dollars.

Most places would help you load it. They pay by the ton to dispose of it. My friend that has a shop will sit them outside with a free sign on them, they disapear quickly. I took a pile of scraps and we paved around another friends fire pit, looked pretty nice.

Aaron

Most places would help you load it. They pay by the ton to dispose of it. My friend that has a shop will sit them outside with a free sign on them, they disapear quickly. I took a pile of scraps and we paved around another friends fire pit, looked pretty nice.

Aaron

That's exactly what I was thinking Aaron. A nice random stack with holes bored through might make a nice water feature too.

A simple solution is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy two of their 12x12 concrete paving blocks and a 12x12 granite floor tile. Glue the Granite to one of the concrete blocks and stack the pair onto the other concrete block. Whole set-up should cost just under 10 dollars.

Here at summer camp for the kiddies I'm using these 12" pavers faced with a 12" Vinyl Composition Tile.

Works just swell.

There was a member that had a yard full of abandoned granite slabs that he was giving away. He was in SoCal IIRC. Lots of free out there, no need to spend $.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I stopped by a little shop that does gravemarkers. I told the guy at the desk who I was, what I was looking for, and what I was gonna use it for. The man walk me out back and asked "will this do"(as he pointed to a piece of granite that was 15"x20"x4")? I told the nice man yes. He told me that I could take it off of his hands for $25. :banana: So I reach into my pocket for my cash and low and behold no $5 bill, so I asked him if $30 would be ok, and of course he said yes.

Unfortunatley this little place has no parking lot and is on a busy road, so the closest place I could park was about 100 yards away. Lets just say that with carrying an 85lb piece of stone, that distance, I think I got my exercise for the week. That's ok, I needed it(the exercise and stone) and it was worth it.

Thanks alot for the tip mogwild. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I stopped by a local headstone co. and they had a stack of chipped and some with mistakes they said I could take all I wanted because someone from the city had gotten on them and they were cleaning the place up. I walked away with three good stones. (took my horse trailer to haul them off though,and flattened the tires on a two wheel dolly. Very heavy!)

Yeah, they are heavy. They usually use a small picker or one of those in box crank cranes to install them!

There was a member that had a yard full of abandoned granite slabs that he was giving away. He was in SoCal IIRC. Lots of free out there, no need to spend $.

Can anyone tell me who thde member in So Cal is that has Granite for free? I just bought a slab pretty cheap, but would like a little more, and I'm in So Cal, i'd gladly take some off his/her hands.

Do you know the name of this member in So Cal?