Sign in to follow this  
pearlheartgtr

Tank Bib Pattern Or Help Making One

My dad has a 1993 HD Electroglide FLHS Sport. I want to make a tank bib and possibly fender covers for his bike. I don't know where to start on measuring (and yes, I've seen some of the tutorials but some of them require the tank to be off the bike). If anyone could help me out with a template or where to start, that would be great.

Thanks!

My dad has a 1993 HD Electroglide FLHS Sport. I want to make a tank bib and possibly fender covers for his bike. I don't know where to start on measuring (and yes, I've seen some of the tutorials but some of them require the tank to be off the bike). If anyone could help me out with a template or where to start, that would be great.

Thanks!

I don't know if this will help much but I have made several tank bibs for bikers. I didn't have a pattern. I just found where they wanted it to mount at & the shape they wanted. I did some measuring & I drew it out on paper first & let them see it before I ever cut them out. A couple of them I made the shape to my own thoughts cause they just told me to do what I thought would look good. Anyway they all were happy. Only other suggestion I could give you would be to find someone that has a bib or even a dealer & see if they would let you trace one out on paper. Then you could go from there. The main thing in my opinion is to be sure where it mounts on the tank on the front & back then the rest is pretty easy. The paper pattern around the chrome bezel on the tank or gas cap is of course easy to outline. You also might want to line it with soft material on the underside so it won't scratch the paint on the tank cause they do move some with the wind..It helps some if you can cut it a little small around the chrome bezel to where it is actually under the bezel instead of just up to the edge of it. Just take your time & make sure on any measurements before you cut your leather. Hope that helps you out.

Tex

Thanks, Tex. I'll give it a shot.