Andrew Chee

My First Pair Of Sandals

they look comfortable, but are you not worried about the nails coming up? I am just wondering why you didn't sew it up. How hard were they to make since it was your first pair?

Hi Andrew,

Nice job, next time sew. Unless clinched, the nails in the sole will come up, even if clinched the ones in the straps will work up. Now if the whole thing is really glued together well, you probably don't have to worry much.

Art

Hello all, this is my first (completed) attempt at making sandals. Let me know what you think.

Andrew

they look comfortable, but are you not worried about the nails coming up? I am just wondering why you didn't sew it up. How hard were they to make since it was your first pair?

I molded, glued, and used clinch nails on the sole. nailed from the bottom of the sole upwards. When you use clinch nails, the nails are in a continuous taper. When you nail against something hard (like a cobbler's last or an anvil) the tip of the nail curls back on itself and back into the upper sole. That way, even if the nail head wears out, the taper of the nail will keep the sole attached. I didn't sew the soles because I don't like that look for sandals. In my mind, molded sandals don't look good sewn. Making them wasn't too hard but I had to find the right nails, figure out the correct way to fit the sandals so they were comfortable, and figure out how to cut the sole leather. Those were a learning experience but I'm glad I made them.

Andrew

what if you used a band saw to rough cut and then a belt sander to get a little bit more precise on your shaping. cant wait to see how you improve!