Dan28

Archery Arm Guard

I bought a bow and am going to learn to shoot it. So I decided I could make myself an arm guard. I don't normally stamp or carve due to the noise. When I do the stamping I do it in my lap on a piece of granite, as I'm in an upstairs apartment and doing it that way limits the noise and vibration that transfers when doing it on my bench.

Think I could do better on another one, as this was kind of a learning experience and I would definitely tweek the design on another one. But it will work and its for me so I don't mind a few mistakes in stuff I'm using myself.

gallery_53023_2281_1463138.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_226879.jpg

gallery_53023_2281_1309328.jpg

Oh and here is a small bag I threw together for me to carry my iPad in to and from work when riding my motorcycle. Its made out of cheap Tandy leather I had that was on sale, except for the strap which is Herman Oak. Mainly decided to do this because I don't always need one of my larger bags on the bike if all I'm carrying is my iPad. I also got a cheap air brush after reading Colt Knight's posts about them. This was my first attempt at a "sunburst" effect. The inspiration comes from one of my favorite guitars, the Gibson SG in Emerald Burst.

gallery_53023_2281_828946.jpg

Very nice!

Very nice

Nice! I really like that fade effect. Is there a tutorial that you followed?

Nice! I really like that fade effect. Is there a tutorial that you followed?

I didn't follow any tutorial, just "winged" it. I think I put down the green first, and then slowly built up the black edges. I did dilute the black dye quite a bit with denatured alcohol so that it took several passes to get the edges as dark as they are.

Nice basketweave on the guard! What kind of bow did you get?

Nice basketweave on the guard! What kind of bow did you get?

There is a portion on the upper left corner of the basket weave where I left and came back and got off track and did about three stamps in the wrong place before I noticed my screw up.

As for the bow, I got a PSE Stinger X at 70# that I backed off about 1 full turn on each limb, so it may be drawing in the high 60# range Shot it a lot this past weekend. I'm a complete beginner and am a bit sore now having used muscles I don't normally use, particularly my left arm triceps (I think that may be the sore one). I lost/damaged a few arrows getting it sighted in, but think I have it set at 20 and 30 yards now. I think I wore out my dad's target as I was getting pass throughs and knocking the stuffing out the back. Odd thing, while I had the arm guard with me, I never actually used it.

Hah well that's how it works, we're all our own worst critics and 90% of anyone looking at your stuff wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

Ahhh, a wheelbow. Ah well, we can't all be perfect. ;D But yes, you'll find out you had muscles in areas you didn't know could hurt. I take a weekly TRX workout class and I found that after starting archery my planks and side planks really improved which told me that there's a LOT of core work that goes into archery.

Broken/lost arrows are par for the course, aggravating as it is. Funny thing with armguards, I usually have the same thing happen. Wear it, no slaps. Forget to put it on, WHACK. I figure it's a reminder on how to hold my arm, plus it looks neat. ;)

Ahhh, a wheelbow. Ah well, we can't all be perfect. ;D But yes, you'll find out you had muscles in areas you didn't know could hurt. I take a weekly TRX workout class and I found that after starting archery my planks and side planks really improved which told me that there's a LOT of core work that goes into archery.

Broken/lost arrows are par for the course, aggravating as it is. Funny thing with armguards, I usually have the same thing happen. Wear it, no slaps. Forget to put it on, WHACK. I figure it's a reminder on how to hold my arm, plus it looks neat. ;)

I got a minor wack on the third day as fatigue set in (and worry for my dog who decided to go off on a five hour adventure of his own that day). Seemed like it barely caught my forearm and didn't really hurt too much so I thought no big deal, yet I now have a bruise that is quite a bit bigger than a silver dollar.

Yep, as your form falls apart that's when you get hurt. Glad you found your dog!