Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

Saddle

Johanna asked if I would share some of the pictures of the saddles that I have made. This is the only one I have on this computer. This is my attempt at replicating an old style saddle. I did this saddle through a grant program with the North Dakota Council for the Arts' Traditional Arts Apprenticeship Program. The program is designed to let apprentice craftsmen (or women) work with master artists to learn traditional art forms. This was the second saddle that I have built through this program and the fifth saddle that I have made. Also in the picture is the saddle that we tried to replicate.

Clay06_ND_art_council_saddle.jpg

post-12-1150509092_thumb.jpg

Fascinating job! And your work is as always gorgeous :)

been meaning to ask Clay where did you get the tree for that saddle as i cant find any old time style trees for an a fork high back half seat saddle, Don

been meaning to ask Clay where did you get the tree for that saddle as i cant find any old time style trees for an a fork high back half seat saddle, Don

Hi Don,

The tree used was an old time slick fork by Bowden

http://www.saddletree.com/saddletree1.html

I dont know how historically correct it is, but it worked for what we were trying to do.

On a completly different subject, do you have the book The 101 Ranch by Ellsworth Collings and Alma Miller England? I lived in Ponca City, Ok for a few years when I was a kid near where the ranch was. The first rodeo I ever saw was at an arena that I think was called the 101 Ranch Arena. Anyway, I have had this book forever and if you dont have it and are interested, let me know.

Clay

Hi clay no i dont have the book and yes i would be interested in it let me know what you would like for it and ill send the cash... im very interested in the history of the 101 ranch as we have reenacted a 101 wild west show a few times, thanks for the info on the tree ill check into it, Don