Sign in to follow this  
Vianeth

Comparing Prices On Sides

Before I put in an order for Tandy's Royal Meadow tooling side, I want to know if I'm making the right decision. The royal meadow is $7.45. I've browsed through these forums and have seen good things said about the royal meadow so far. I know W&C is known for being one of "the best" next to Herman oak, are their hides the same price and would I be much better off ordering from W&C instead? I might try HO but I don't need anything more than 1 side at 3/4 oz

A lot of it will depend on what you are going to use it for. So, What are you going to use it for?

I have some of the Royal Meadow, and while it is impressive (blemish free, cuts like butter) I don't care for it. I don't like the way it finishes nearly as much as the HO. I''ve not used WC before, but someday.

You can get Grade B from Springfield for nearly the same price. I've been buying Grade A "Moss back" backs from Goliger Leather. Hermann Oak turned me on to them as they were the only smaller dealer that would sell Grade A single sides in small quantities.

A lot of it will depend on what you are going to use it for. So, What are you going to use it for?

I have some of the Royal Meadow, and while it is impressive (blemish free, cuts like butter) I don't care for it. I don't like the way it finishes nearly as much as the HO. I''ve not used WC before, but someday.

You can get Grade B from Springfield for nearly the same price. I've been buying Grade A "Moss back" backs from Goliger Leather. Hermann Oak turned me on to them as they were the only smaller dealer that would sell Grade A single sides in small quantities.

I'll be replicating costume armor, which involves tooling, leather paint and finish, and molding with beeswax. 3/4 oz is for the neck gorget and straps, i'll be using 6/7 oz thereabouts for the larger pieces with beeswax molding.

Edited by Vianeth

Before I put in an order for Tandy's Royal Meadow tooling side, I want to know if I'm making the right decision. The royal meadow is $7.45. I've browsed through these forums and have seen good things said about the royal meadow so far. I know W&C is known for being one of "the best" next to Herman oak, are their hides the same price and would I be much better off ordering from W&C instead? I might try HO but I don't need anything more than 1 side at 3/4 oz

The Royal Meadow is decent leather but in my opinion, the W & C is better. I have a RM hide and a couple of W&C hides in my posession right now and the difference in quality is pretty clear. Even the #3 W&C (called Special - $5.48/sqft) appears to be smoother, cuts & tools slightly better and takes dye & paint wonderfully. The RM cuts and tools nicely but it has a tendency to still be splotchy when it comes to dye absorbtion, even after cleaning with Oxalic Acid. I don't need to clean the W&C leather, just simply wipe down with DNA to take any surface film off and that's it. I wet form large sections for motorcycle gear and the W&C also molds better as it generally takes to casing easier than the RM. I generally use the #2 W&C (Utility grade - $6.35/sqft)) but for really high end projects I use the #1 (Standard grade - $7.25/sqft) which is much better than the RM at the same price. W&C will also cut and split a hide to your request. In my last order I needed two different sizes but not an entire side of each size so they cut it in half (asked if I wanted lengthwise or back to belly cut) and split each half to different thicknesses at no additional charge. Tandy won't do that. Just some food for thought.

Chris

Thanks for the reply, Spinner. I think I will give W+C a call and see about ordering a side from them. The Tandys RM is priced quite steep, and I doubt theirs can compare to the $7~ W+C leather based off opinions here. Hopefully shipping won't be too bad and it will arrive relatively quick because i'm dying with no leather to tool!