I posted this same question in a Vinagaroon post but wanted to open it up to everyone.

I have made a batch of V-roon from the tutorial. Its great except that even after it dries my leather smells like vinager. I have rinsed it in water seaveral time and it still smells.

Can anything be done about this?

Add some more iron and let it "cook" a little longer. What you smell is the acetic acid. Once that has all reacted with the iron to form ferric acetate the smell will go away or at least be reduced to a level I do not notice it.

Dan

Add some more iron and let it "cook" a little longer. What you smell is the acetic acid. Once that has all reacted with the iron to form ferric acetate the smell will go away or at least be reduced to a level I do not notice it.

Dan

Ok good advice I will give it a try - thank you.

Plus

1) Use the baking soda wash per my instructions that have been posted here

2) once it gets to the point it will no longer dissolve anymore iron open the container and let it "air"

3) Hang the finished goods in the sun with plenty of air when weather permits - if not able then hang in front of fan - any residual acid is highly volatile and the sun and/or air will speed the volatility.

Plus

1) Use the baking soda wash per my instructions that have been posted here

2) once it gets to the point it will no longer dissolve anymore iron open the container and let it "air"

3) Hang the finished goods in the sun with plenty of air when weather permits - if not able then hang in front of fan - any residual acid is highly volatile and the sun and/or air will speed the volatility.

OK great thanks, one last thing - how much baking soda to water do you mike and how do you apply it?

It's a temporary problem, and I guess you'll have to live with it for a week or two. If you are selling the goods, perhaps let it "stink out" before passing it on to buyers. In any case, it will eventually wear off. All smells do. ;)

OK great thanks, one last thing - how much baking soda to water do you mike and how do you apply it?

Not sure about the others but I just throw a couple of tablespoons in the sink or whatever and throw some warm water in there. It helps to dissolve the baking soda. I usually dip my items for vinegaroon and go from that vine to the baking soda dip for just a quick shake or two in it then it gets a quick rinse with fresh water and its off to dry.

....rinse with a mix of baking soda and warm water, about a 1/8 cup soda to a half gallon of water, dunk the piece if possible, let set for just a moment, and then rinse off well with clear water. While still damp apply a light coat or two of your favorite saddle oil. Once dry top coat as normal