Hey all,

Just showing off a little tooling I did. Done with just two tools: modeler and a checked backgrounder (well three if you count the swivel knife on the initial cuts). Dyed using diluted Fiebings light brown, sealed and antiqued. What do you think? Comments welcome!

This one is shipping out to England in the morning. I had to make it a little larger than my normal wallets to fit British Pound notes.

Cheers,

Andy

post-8183-0-40058600-1427670887_thumb.jp

Edited by AndyL1

Excellent...I really like it! You've nailed it!

Very nice work.

Cool carving, Andy!

Looks great! What finishes did you use?

Thanks all! I'm in love with the way it turned out too. It's dyed with Fiebings Light brown (diluted), antiqued in my tried and true method, then sealed with a few coats of diluted Resolene. I give it some neatsfoot oil after dyeing though to recondition the leather as the alcohol tends to dry things out.

That dye job really makes the indian head pop. Very nice job.

Looks great.

Yeah agree with the comments above the tooling and dying work really well. Excellent work

Looks great.

Yeah agree with the comments above the tooling and dying work really well. Excellent work

Thanks all! This was a fun one to make for sure.

Can someone guide me on what products and how to use them to get a finish like this?

Amazing face and color....

Can someone guide me on what products and how to use them to get a finish like this?

Hi Bruce,

It's just dyed with Fiebing's Light Brown Pro Oil dye. It came out kind of reddish though as that's just how this particular leather accepted the dye. A happy accident I suppose. I didn't dye the Indian's face, just sealed it up really well with multiple coats of Resolene. Then I just antiqued the whole thing. Another coat of Resolene to seal the antique and all done!

I should add that I dilute my dyes with denatured alcohol as the Fiebings stuff always comes out a lot darker.

Amazing face and color....

Thanks!

Oh hey...Thanks Andy...I really appreciate the tips!

Was the antique done with black antique?

Is the Resolene just a clear coat?

Thanks for your help...I really love your colors and your engraving...Your piece is just awesome!

I'm getting ready to start my first wallet project as soon as i setup shop in my new basement.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

Oh hey...Thanks Andy...I really appreciate the tips!

Was the antique done with black antique?

Is the Resolene just a clear coat?

Thanks for your help...I really love your colors and your engraving...Your piece is just awesome!

I'm getting ready to start my first wallet project as soon as i setup shop in my new basement.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

No problem! Yeah the antique is just Tandy's black. I dilute my Resolene 50/50 with water though as I like a more mellow gloss than full strength gives. I find it's better to do a couple of light coats with diluted rather than a heavy one at full strength.

Good luck on your first project! I'll stay tuned for photos of yours.