Sign in to follow this  
badLoveLeather

Seat Foam

I'm gonna try recovering my stock Road King Seat as its seen over 80k worth of miles and I'm looking to bust my seat cherry. Where do I get new foam from? I'd like to tear my pre existing seat down to the pan and completely style something new. i just don;t know where to begin with the foam issue. Any suggestions?

Travis

Bad Love Leather

You might try www.foambymail.com

Bill

If your foam's not broken down already, you might try just reshaping it some to get a feel of what you'd like in a finished product. I've done a couple full size 2-up seats now where I've reused the original foam. It can be trimmed down to just about any shape with simple tools, however it's not as dense as what you may want. Factory seats are very cushy and actually TOO soft for extended hours in the saddle. That's why corbin an lepera and others use a much stiffer foam in their seats. I'll get some pics together of factory foam I've cut down. But when I do a chopper seat, I use the flooring tiles that lock together for work surfaces as my base foam. VERY STIFF but easy to work with. After that I use a closed cell foam I get at Wal-mart in the exercise section. It's actually a yoga mat. Much softer than the base stuff but still stiffer than factory and SUPER easy to shape. I'm looking for a solo pan now for my electra glide to finally do it up this way.

OK. Makes sense as the stock seat was too cushy to begin with. I'd like to shoot for something in the stiffness catagory of Corbin. AND I'd be willing to use that damn electric knife I got as a wedding gift. Since my wife split I won;t have to hear the crabbin about usin kitchen utensils for my leather work!!! ;)

So, Closed Cell foam is the trick?

Is there a specific brand or type?

If your foam's not broken down already, you might try just reshaping it some to get a feel of what you'd like in a finished product. I've done a couple full size 2-up seats now where I've reused the original foam. It can be trimmed down to just about any shape with simple tools, however it's not as dense as what you may want. Factory seats are very cushy and actually TOO soft for extended hours in the saddle. That's why corbin an lepera and others use a much stiffer foam in their seats. I'll get some pics together of factory foam I've cut down. But when I do a chopper seat, I use the flooring tiles that lock together for work surfaces as my base foam. VERY STIFF but easy to work with. After that I use a closed cell foam I get at Wal-mart in the exercise section. It's actually a yoga mat. Much softer than the base stuff but still stiffer than factory and SUPER easy to shape. I'm looking for a solo pan now for my electra glide to finally do it up this way.

Here's a factory seat I did a couple years ago.

revel6.jpg revel1.jpgrevel3.jpgrevel4.jpgrevelseat_003__Medium_.jpg

And here's a chopper seat I'm working on now that has a fiberglass pan. Notice the layers of different kinds of foam. The green in the flooring tiles like used for kids play areas and the blue is the yoga mat. Cover that in cotton batting after you have the shape you want and it's ready for leather.

DSCN3394__Medium_.JPGDSCN3397__Medium_.JPG DSCN3398__Medium_.JPG

post-5675-1207158449_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158492_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158510_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158526_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158638_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158851_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158870_thumb.jpg

post-5675-1207158879_thumb.jpg

Here's a factory seat I did a couple years ago.

revel6.jpg revel1.jpgrevel3.jpgrevel4.jpgrevelseat_003__Medium_.jpg

And here's a chopper seat I'm working on now that has a fiberglass pan. Notice the layers of different kinds of foam. The green in the flooring tiles like used for kids play areas and the blue is the yoga mat. Cover that in cotton batting after you have the shape you want and it's ready for leather.

DSCN3394__Medium_.JPGDSCN3397__Medium_.JPG DSCN3398__Medium_.JPG

great info and seats. thanks chachi

bustedlifter,

how do you use an innertube exactly?

Here,check it out. If you have any questions just send a message and I'll answer them.

DSCF1257.JPGDSCF1259.JPG The tube is a200/50 from a Razor scooter.

post-1704-1208998156_thumb.jpg

post-1704-1208998222_thumb.jpg

Maybe this might be useful for all sorts of foam

http://www.foamorder.com/

Here,check it out. If you have any questions just send a message and I'll answer them.

DSCF1257.JPGDSCF1259.JPG The tube is a200/50 from a Razor scooter.

LOL!

DONT USE COTTON BATTING! The stuff will break down under your leather. Use only neoprene foam. That is the stuff they make boat cushions out of.

David Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

Do you have a good source for neoprene foam?

Foam and more in Michigan....they should be on the net, if not PM me and I'll send the phone number and address.

On second thought, just go to the search button at the top of this page and type in Stock Seat. That is the name of a post I made a while back. It contains the info you want.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

www.foamandupholstery.com

Foam and more in Michigan....they should be on the net, if not PM me and I'll send the phone number and address.

On second thought, just go to the search button at the top of this page and type in Stock Seat. That is the name of a post I made a while back. It contains the info you want.

Dave Theobald

Foam and More will add a great self adhesive back to the foam which makes it really great to work with.

Dave Theobald