Sign in to follow this  
Soybomb

first holster (also my first leather project)

Well the first holster (also my first leather project) is done and I'm open to all criticism and advice. I want to try something with snaps or clips but I haven't ordered snaps yet or found a clip that looks sturdy and strong. I decided to try a Yaqui style first since it looked like less stitching and less leather to waste if it turned out horribly.

holster1.jpg

holster2.jpg

holster3.jpg

Things I've noticed so far:

Centering the belt slot was a HUGE mistake. It doesn't pull the gun in at the right places so it might as well be an elbow rest. It seems like for something like this it needs to be inline with the slide. I'm not thrilled with my belt hole's either, other than straightness I'd like to find a way to make the edges look a little better. The same goes for the burnishing of the edges. So far a slicker on a drill press with bees wax seems to give the best edge but its still not great and I'm not sure its a good solution. Over all the stitching went pretty smoothly with just a couple slip ups. A little practice should do me well.

Next time I want room for a double stitch near the trigger guard. The modeling spoon just seems to leave marks no matter how I use it, so far my fingers are working the best but I think I need more practice. Overall I think I could come up with a better design for it too. I don't like the 3 layer thick edge and I don't like that the gun might rub on the stitching. Its quite a learning experience but I can't say I'm disappointed for my first try, I'll be trying to make something else very soon.

Thanks!

to tell you the truth dont put yourself down its turned out ok, (you should of seen my first) the stitching is fine its not easy to stitch through so many layers and end up with a nice stiching without practice and youve done a good job, the edges could use a little work granted i use a flat bed sander first and then burnish the edges, the slots can be worked out easly by using an adjustable rightangle and use a long punch for the holes, you could try to use a rounded dowel to wet mold as you can get more pressure and wont end up scratching the leather which can happen with a spoon, Don

I think it looks very good. I know what you mean about the elbow rest problem. I think if you would extend the leather out far enough to cut your belt slots out wide on the wings that you will get the close ride you are looking for. It will also be stiffer and not tend to sag. I have not made one but own a factory holster that is how I just described and it works well for me carrying a Para LDA 12-45 which is a double stacked 1911 clone. holster.bmp

holster.bmp

Moulding with a set of metalworking dome tools would work they look like a rod with a ball bearing shape on the end I have seen sets offered of different sizes that have a block of steel that has domed areas machined into it for each size, not sure of the proper name of the tool but it puts domed dimples in flat stock. You could make one by welding a ball bearing on the end of some sort of metal handle. Some sort of laqure or a stainless steel finish so the wet leather will not turn black on contact would also be needed. The holster looks real good. If the edges are beveled more it seems to give me a better edge after wet burnishing.

Moulding with a set of metalworking dome tools would work they look like a rod with a ball bearing shape on the end I have seen sets offered of different sizes that have a block of steel that has domed areas machined into it for each size, not sure of the proper name of the tool but it puts domed dimples in flat stock. You could make one by welding a ball bearing on the end of some sort of metal handle. Some sort of laqure or a stainless steel finish so the wet leather will not turn black on contact would also be needed. The holster looks real good. If the edges are beveled more it seems to give me a better edge after wet burnishing.

Jordan, you tools you refer to are called doming or dapping punches and blocks. They are usually made of steel or wood.

Soybomb, your holster looks great, especially for a first project. I hope my first holster looks as good.

forty

thanks, for the life of me I could not remember the name. I can't remember much of the 70's either, the 80's fugetaboutit! LOL gufaw LOL.

Things I've noticed so far:

Centering the belt slot was a HUGE mistake. It doesn't pull the gun in at the right places so it might as well be an elbow rest. It seems like for something like this it needs to be inline with the slide.

IMHO, I don't think centering is your issue, different holser designs have different rides styles. I have noticed that sometimes the holster looks great, but wears not as good as I'd hoped. If you like yaqui, don't give up just cause the first one didn't work out. post it here and ask questions I have made a few yaqui's, and i have my pro's and con's for them as far as wearing them that I would be happy to share with you. But before you atart your next project do some research and find a style you like and reproduce it. you will find things you like and dislike and this will help you decide what features you want in your "custom"holster.

I'm not thrilled with my belt hole's either, other than straightness I'd like to find a way to make the edges look a little better.

+1 on the suggestion above

The same goes for the burnishing of the edges. So far a slicker on a drill press with bees wax seems to give the best edge but its still not great and I'm not sure its a good solution. Over all the stitching went pretty smoothly with just a couple slip ups. A little practice should do me well.

Took me a long time to get my edging where I thought it was acceptable. And I'm very particular about it. I spend a large portion of my time hand finishing the edging. Step one, before sewing, glue your seam, this will save you seperating issues. Like in a suggestion above, I uniform all edges with a bench sander, the round my corners with and edging cutting tool, the name of the tool escapes me at the moment...all I can think of is french edger, but thats normally to big of a mouth...

then I hand sand all the edging again with 80 grit sand papper. The point of all of this is to creat uniformity of the grain of the leather that is "fluffed"out at the edge. Once uniform, i wet, and slick, let dry and apply bees wax or parafin to seal. and power slick with motor and dowel. Color is added in the dying process, I do not use edge cote.

Next time I want room for a double stitch near the trigger guard.

For stlye, fine, for strengh, you don't need it. (IMHO)

The modeling spoon just seems to leave marks no matter how I use it, so far my fingers are working the best but I think I need more practice.

Me too, I need to learn more about the molding process, my solution so far is to use it less.

Overall I think I could come up with a better design for it too. I don't like the 3 layer thick edge and I don't like that the gun might rub on the stitching. Its quite a learning experience but I can't say I'm disappointed for my first try, I'll be trying to make something else very soon.

Thanks!

Overall, you are lightyears beyond my first holster. Keep at it. find a design you like, and tweak it till it's yours.

feel free to pm with any questions.

www.silverstarcustoms.blogspot.com

Overall I think you did a good job for a first holster. Much better than my first try. But what really stands out is your own critiques. I am impressed. You identify the problems, and look for a solution. I think you will be your best and harshest critic.