Sign in to follow this  
Colt Hammerless

First Leather Project

This is my first leather project. I made it after reading this forum for quite a while. I finished it in September. I've made a few more since then, and will write about them later. It's an IWB for a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .32acp. I made it out of one of those 6/7oz single shoulders that's often on sale at Tandy. Dyed with Fiebing's British Tan. Applied several coats with a cotton rag before contact cementing and stitching. I didn't have a stitch marking wheel at the time so set my calipers at .143 to get 7 stitches per inch and marked it out with the knives of the calipers (very time consuming!) I also did not have a stitching groover, so I wet that area of the leather and tooled an indentation for the stitching to lay down into. I intended for it to have a 30 degree forward cant, but I believe it's closer to 37. Don't know how I missed, I've used the same method since then, and it's worked fine. Oh well. Finish is two coats of Resolene cut 50/50 with water. I'm pretty happy with it. I would have liked to get the stitching closer to the dust cover and bottom front of the slide, but it's not bad for a first shot at it. Oh, I also molded in a sight channel. The pistol doesn't have much of a front sight, but it certainly won't be dragging on the inside of the holster now. I hope the pictures come out OK. I tried to resize them so they'd fit, but they might be a bit small or grainy. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or questions.

Colt Hammerless

There's no way that's your first leather project. That looks great!!! The only thing I would change would be the extreme cant but that's just a personal preferance thing. Very nice work.

I agree, it looks really great for your first project! The molding looks terrific. What kind of thread did you use?

Edited by woodandsteel

A very nice piede of leatherwork. The coloring is beautiful and the IWB loops look just right. I do have to agree with usmc0341 though...that radical cant would probably end up with pulling the entire holster off the trousers if it had to be accessed in a hurry. But. that JMHO. I put a 7-10 degree cant on mine and find that even that sometimes is to much. Anyways, a beautiful piece. Semper-fi

Thanks for the comments. If it looks good, it's only because of studying this forum for several months before attempting it, and for that I thank everyone. The thread is just standard waxed nylon from Tandy that comes in 25 yard spools. I agree that the cant isn't for everyone, (and it did wind up more than the 30 degrees I had intended.) I figured it would result in a slower draw as well, but it's actually quite smooth and fast. I experimented with different positions with my 1911 to find the most comfortable and concealable placement, and came up with the 30 degrees at about the 4:00 to 4:30 position. This was mostly a test holster before making one for the 1911. It's funny you mention the loops Marine MP, as they're a little screwed up. If you look at the front one in the pic it's a little misshapen and a slightly different color. I started making the 1911 holster as I was finishing this one, in order to have it ready for an upcoming hiking trip with a friend. I didn't have time to make loops for that one, so I just used these loops on it. Well, the first day we were caught in a nasty downpour for several hours with no shelter, not even a tree. That holster and the loops got a little uglied up from it all. Still functions just fine though. I was so wet, it even caused my store bought belt to leak dye onto my pants. It also ruined my cell phone :-) I'll do a little write up on that holster as well. I only have a couple of good before pics. I'll have to take some of what it looks like now.

Colt Hammerless

Nice work, what tool did you use to mold the leather to the gun?

Kevin.

I boned in the lines with a tube of Chapstick. The caps on them are perfectly smooth and have a nice radius to them. They're very good for getting the inside part of a round trigger guard, as well as a rounded ejection port and the front of the slide where it's scalloped toward the dust cover. I've found it works well to put a paper towel folded over several times between the tool and the leather. You can find the lines of the gun that way without actually marking the leather, then you can simply apply more pressure once you've found them and it bones it nice and smooth. I've tried it with a clear plastic gallon sized ziploc bag, but like the paper towel better, as it seems more forgiving in regards to tool marks.

Colt Hammerless

As already stated, this is a great first attempt. (Wished mine were as good!)

As to the cant, if it works for you so be it! I was going to add if it didn't work well it might be a good SOB holster.

Keep up the great work and more pictures PLEASE!

great looking holster . great gun i have the 380 version and plan on making a holster for it when i get time. hope i can make it as nice as yours, keep up the good work

I boned in the lines with a tube of Chapstick.

Nice!

Make sure you post pictures of it when you're done Big G. There's not enough pictures of holsters for these little gems on the internet. They have such great lines too, it's a shame.

Colt Hammerless

I'm late to the party but that's a fine looking holster.

I just picked up an 03 in 32ACP....I fell in love with it in the store and had to have it.

Congratulations on your aquisition. I saw a picture of one in a magazine when I was a teenager, and new I'd have to have one some day. At least as good looking as a 1911 in my opinion. Are you going to make a holster for it? Even if you don't intend to carry it, it's a fun project, and there a beutiful subject for a holster.

Colt Hammerless