quinatt

Nylon Thread For Handstitching

I appologize for starting another topic on a subject that seems to be discussed often. Ive been researching for days.

Im having a heck of a time trying to figure out what kind of nylon thread to get and where to get it. I see waxed nylon thread everwhere but Im never certain on the size and whether it is right twist or not or whether it is good quality

Currently, Im using Barbours linen in 4 and 5 cord. I want to give nylon a try and I need a thread the same size. I use the 4 cord linen the most so thats the ideal size. i guess I dont care if it is bonded nylon or waxed nylon, just that it is the correct size, in right twist, and of a good quality.

Some people say that left twist is ok for handsewing but I bought my barbours in left twist and I think it tends to get twisted up so I definitely want to try right twist to see if it works better.

Also, if i go with bonded nylon, can I dye it and wax it the same way i do with the linen?

I also figured that size 277 would be a good size to get but not all sources for thread I find use this same sizing so i get confused

If anybody can point me in a good direction, I appreciate it.

I'm not real familiar with thread sizes. I figured out what I needed by looking through a lot of the sewing topics to see what people were using. That said, you know the size you need already, just not the number that corresponds to it. I was happy with "The Thread Exchange" for my stuff and they may be able to help you narrow down what you need. If you look through my Etsy page, everything there was done with 207 bonded nylon as a size/type reference for you. I do plan on getting a smaller size that will be better for wallet inserts.

I know nothing about left vs. right twist either, so I can't help you there. I know I don't have twisting issues at all. You can dye it, but it's probably not the same as dying linen. From my experience, I still have to make sure I don't get my dye on it when I'm doing white thread, but I haven't attempted a solid and even dying of it. I have tried waxing with beeswax and it seemed to bind up a bit and not really do anything.

judging from your work, I think 207 is probably what I need and not 277. thanks. Sounds like it would be better to just get prewaxed nylon though if you have trouble waxing it.

Is that 6 stitches per inch you are using on your work?

So i probably need to find a source for prewaxed nylon in right twist and in size 207. The Thread exchange might have that, i think they didnt have what i needed in size 277. Ill check back with them

I wouldn't worry too much about the wax. Bonded Nylon is pretty slick. If it's not coming through then there's another issue that should be addressed (like knot size....)

Waxing comes more into play when you have the linen/cord thread that can separate and bind. The wax helps it slide through without tearing up the thread.

And yes, that is 6 SPI. I need to work on getting familiar with some tighter patterns, but for most of what I do I like the look and security of 6.

Thanks for coming back on that Cyber, I appreciate it. I might just pick up a cheap spool from somewhere just to see if i like using it. I read that waxing nylon thread helps to keep it from stretching so much which is why I think I would want it waxed. Your work looks good though. The thing about nylon that interests me is that the stitches always look so clean. no fraying at all. seems like alot of handstitchers that i respect use it too, regardless of the fact that most the experienced old timers say linen is the way to go.

I think a lot of those old timers have enough experience to make a piece of bailing twine look awesome :)

I haven't experienced any stretching with mine (It's the bonded nylon). If you can't find a small amount let me know. Depending on where you're at, I can pull off a few strands and send them your way.

Is there a particular reason for nylon instead of polyester thread? Most of the sewing that I have done so far (outdoor type gear) has always said poly and not nylon because nylon isn't as good in the sun and it stretches. I'm not sure that the second point is particularly important (or even significant in a sewing application versus rope) for the outdoor gear but maybe a little give is a good thing for leather?

Just curious if some of my heavier duty poly thread (Gutermann Tera 40... an upholstery thread) might be useful for wallets or is there a compelling reason to buy some different weights of nylon thread.

Thanks,

Dave

Im not familiar with poly thread or the sizing but I have wondered about it. I would definitely use it if I got around to working with canvas or any leather goods that are exposed to sun and hard wear. For simple stuff like wallets, I couldnt tell you how it would look. Im sure it would be plenty durable. For me, I want the stitching on my wallets and other similar goods to look as good as possible and as durable as possible. Im happy with the barbours lined im using, i just want to experiment with other threads to make sure im not missing out on something. I've become very picky about quality and doing my research before ordering online because I've probably spent over 1K on leather supplies over the last couple years that I wish I hadnt purchased. Wrong sizes or bad quality etc.

If you are making items that will have heavy exposure to the sun and outdoor elements, directly, then go with a poly thread as it is the best when it comes to UV resistance. Otherwise just go with either a nylon or linen as they have a very good tensile strength and are easier to work with because they can be waxed. I use both on my designs, nylon for all interior assemblies and linen for primary edge assembly. I also do all of my stitching by hand as there is yet to be a machine made that will replicate the interlocking strength of the saddle stitch, they only do a lock stitch and we all know that when a stitch breaks the whole thing comes apart. There are those who will try and sell you on a specific direction or idea because that is what they do but the bottom line is to find what works for you and meets your needs as it is your work on the line and not theirs.

If you have a brand that is meeting is your needs and expectations then stick with it. Just remember, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and you will always be right.

If you are making items that will have heavy exposure to the sun and outdoor elements, directly, then go with a poly thread as it is the best when it comes to UV resistance. Otherwise just go with either a nylon or linen as they have a very good tensile strength and are easier to work with because they can be waxed. I use both on my designs, nylon for all interior assemblies and linen for primary edge assembly. I also do all of my stitching by hand as there is yet to be a machine made that will replicate the interlocking strength of the saddle stitch, they only do a lock stitch and we all know that when a stitch breaks the whole thing comes apart. There are those who will try and sell you on a specific direction or idea because that is what they do but the bottom line is to find what works for you and meets your needs as it is your work on the line and not theirs.

If you have a brand that is meeting is your needs and expectations then stick with it. Just remember, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and you will always be right.

Do you worry about twist direction on you nylon thread? Do you know any source for right twist nylon that is prewaxed and has a sizing available? if you handwax your nylon, does it take the wax well? Do you just buy the bonded left twist machine nylon that seems to be readily available? thanks

I don't concern myself with all of this twist stuff and other techno babble anymore as once you have your techniques down and your skills are refined you could make barbed wire look great. I purchase my threads pre-waxed but always give them an extra treatment or two to make sure that they are properly covered. Oh, I also wax my leather lace prior to use. The wax is intended to be a conditioner and helps keep the strands together during the process (for the lace it keeps it from premature wear and failure due to the stresses and friction caused while pulling it through the lacing slits).

I also keep a couple spools of 9 strand waxed nylon on hand that I usually break down into whatever strand configuration I want to create for those special times when you just need a little more or a little less.

Hi try threadexchange.com i get mine from there lots of colors on size 207 It's unwaxed though just buy some bees wax and wax it yourself its easy.

here are sample pics with size 207 nylon i dont know what twist they are. thanks hope it helps.

24mm lug width strap

null_zps1c5f6aa8.jpg

21mm lug width strap

null_zps2801af27.jpg

21mm lug width strap

null_zps9ccdba71.jpg

i might end up doing that. Its frustrating that there arent many sources for waxed nylon with specific sizes provided

Your stitches look good though. I worry about getting the wax to penetrate the nylon thread good enough. I know you can wax and then rub with a brown paper bag to get it to melt in but i wonder sometimes if that works as well as just having a thread that is prewaxed.

Ill prob pick up some from the thread exchange but still interested in other sources.