Hello,

I bought some 8-9oz Austin double shoulder from Tandy with the intention of making a compound bow case. I have a blue print drawn up and some basic tools... but after reading through a few posts I'm almost positive I'm going to make a mess of things having no guidance other than the internet and less than no experience. I'd like to case the leather and firm it to the contours of my cams/bow limbs. Sew the 2 sections together, attach a sling... do I need to condition/wax/treat this type of leather before or after I start casing/sewing? Should I have bought a different type of leather for this project... it's going to be exposed to the elements frequently and needs to be durable/water resistant. Any help/collaboration/direction would be greatly appreciated. I'm leary to begin only to learn that I should have a different leather. I'm going to start with some smaller projects but would like this to be what I work up to dinner than later...

The leather in question...

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/cowhide/9052-86.aspx

I think you will find that the Austin double shoulders will not wet mold well because of the oils and finish already on them. They are more for belts and straps. You can make messanger cases and similar items with them but they do not mold or tool well. You would be better off using veg tanned then finishing it with a water proofing either of your own mix or something line Sno Seal or Skidmores Bees Wax Waterproofing. I make all of my slings, rifle scabbards and so on out of veg tanned and they hold up well.

Edited by camano ridge

Thanks camano ridge for the reply. After reading a bit I figured that before molding I'd better get some feed back on what to expect. The austin leather looks nice and is pretty soft/malleable. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm sure I'll find some good uses for it. I could really use a recommendation on where to buy veg tan 8 oz or thicker... I need it to be as durable as possible. Thanks again for the reply

Choices are your local Tandy store, Springfield Leather Company, or any other local craft store that carries leather and leatherwork tools and materials.

The nearest leather/craft store is a few hours away. It would be nice to get in and feel the different types of leather and just ask questions... I'll try a few of the online retailers fit now. Does leather prices rise and fall based on any variables or is the market fairly stable? Thanks again~