BearMan

Another Christmas Present Done

Hi Everybody,

Here is another Christmas present I just finished. It's a Knife Sheath & Knife, for my Brother. I know that when I can't think of anything else to make him, he always likes knives. This is a 12" Coffin handle knife, with a 7 1/2" blade. The knife was made using a blade from either Jantz, or another supplier,,, I've had it for quite some time. The Sheath, is made with a swivel. I started making thes swivel types of sheaths about 20 years ago. The "D" ring part of the swivel, is covered with some burgundy upholstry leather, stitched into a tube, & slipped over & sewn together. It's all sewn together with 7 stitches per inch. This Jesse Smith type of tooling design, is something I drew up, with some of my usual coloring.

The finishing process: after tooling, & allowing to completely dry, a fair amount of oil was applied, & allowed to sit over night. the next day, it was put out in the sun for about 1 1/2 hours. I then applied all the colors, & let it sit overnight again,,, I always let things I color like this to sit overnight, because a lot of the time, I will need to re-adjust the colors before I apply a finish. Once the colors were done, I applied a NeatLac type finish. The edges were done, almost exactly the way that Bob Park describes in his "Edges" tutorial.

Please let me know what you think,,, & Thanks for looking!! Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-065885200 1284938991_thumb.jpg

post-7175-067564300 1284939009_thumb.jpg

post-7175-036078100 1284939034_thumb.jpg

post-7175-053015900 1284939059_thumb.jpg

post-7175-047626700 1284939082_thumb.jpg

post-7175-085438600 1284939120_thumb.jpg

post-7175-054462700 1284939150_thumb.jpg

post-7175-050973100 1284939184_thumb.jpg

Nice work. I love the shape of that blade and the details in your design are excellent. I'm sure the gift will be greatly appreciated.

Excellent work Ed, love the colors and the browns all go very well together.

Good Evening,

Thanks Eric, Ben, & Corey,,, I guess it's a good thing I only have about 10 more Christmas Presents to make,,, hehehe Thanks again,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Wow, that's not a sheath, it's a piece of art! I also like the coffin style handle on the bowie knife you made. Can I get on your Christmas list?!

John

Edited by Jaymack

Wow Ed, I'm lost for words....

I'm a fan :You_Rock_Emoticon:

That's so beautiful ♥

I find it funny that here the knife gets a sentence, and he sheath gets 2 paragraphs. In my blacksmithing group it is just the opposite, with paragraphs on how the knife was made,and is finished with " I made a sheath to go with it" :lol:

Good Morning everybody,

John, Tina, Katie, & Biggundoctor, Thank you soooo much!! John,,, I'm affraid I already have Toooo many people on the list already!! hehee

Tina, that's something we share,,, I'm at a loss for words on your stuff too!!

Biggundoctor,,,the reason I started cobbling up knives was when I was making some sheaths for Randall knives. I soon realized that I could get really hooked on making knives, but that would mean that I'd have to get a lot more specialized equipment than I had room for. Soooo I just get the blades already ground & shaped, & then do the bolsters/guards, add some file work on some, make some mosaic pins for some, & add the different handles. Then I have something to make the sheaths/scabbards for.

Thanks for all the wonderful complements,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Hi Everybody,

Here is another Christmas present I just finished. It's a Knife Sheath & Knife, for my Brother. I know that when I can't think of anything else to make him, he always likes knives. This is a 12" Coffin handle knife, with a 7 1/2" blade. The knife was made using a blade from either Jantz, or another supplier,,, I've had it for quite some time. The Sheath, is made with a swivel. I started making thes swivel types of sheaths about 20 years ago. The "D" ring part of the swivel, is covered with some burgundy upholstry leather, stitched into a tube, & slipped over & sewn together. It's all sewn together with 7 stitches per inch. This Jesse Smith type of tooling design, is something I drew up, with some of my usual coloring.

The finishing process: after tooling, & allowing to completely dry, a fair amount of oil was applied, & allowed to sit over night. the next day, it was put out in the sun for about 1 1/2 hours. I then applied all the colors, & let it sit overnight again,,, I always let things I color like this to sit overnight, because a lot of the time, I will need to re-adjust the colors before I apply a finish. Once the colors were done, I applied a NeatLac type finish. The edges were done, almost exactly the way that Bob Park describes in his "Edges" tutorial.

Please let me know what you think,,, & Thanks for looking!! Ed the"BearMan"

Excellent job all around. Did you use solvent based dye? Your brother will be proud to carry the knife and sheath.

ferg

Hi Ferg,

Yes, I use only spirit dyes, that I have reduced in varying degrees. I have some colors that are blends of two or more other colors also. Ed

Beautiful work. I would definately be grateful for such a present, I'm sure he's going to love it. I still say the best presents are those that are handmade, I think there is so much more thought put into them. I'd much rather have a present that someone made for me, even something simple, than the latest gadget on the market.

Chris

Great job! It is a piece of art to say the least. I like the tooling and the dye job.

everything about this screams craftsmanship. very very nice. I had been wondering how folks cover a d ring like you did. its all those little touches that make the whole just so much nicer. well, u better get busy, Christmas is just around the corner.

That is one hell of a job right there.

A PIECE OF ART. GREAT JOB.

RICKEY