gunfighter48

Took My Mother to Tandy

Brought my mother, who will be 80 in March, up to our house for the New Years weekend. I needed some stuff from Tandy (not really but couldn't pass up their sale) and their sale was good until 12/31, so took my mother with me. The store is in north Seattle. The manager is Dave, just a great guy to be around and very knowledgeable. He knows me very well, he should I have dropped a bundle in his store over the last year!! So he asked me who's the lady with me and I tell him my mother. He says HI MOM and my mother didn't know what to say at first. So she said HI SON, he got a big kick out of that.

Anyway I'm looking at stamping tools and above the rack are samples of wallets, folders, etc. My mother spots a wallet she just loved. It's carved in Sheridan style and extremely well done. She pointed it out to me and commented on how nice it was. I'm thinking that if they have that style in stock I'll get it and make it for her. Anyway Dave comes over and asked her if she likes that wallet and she says "yes but I can't afford to buy it". Dave says it's yours and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. She wouldn't take it, folks her age have a hard time taking anything they didn't pay or work for. So he asked me if I'd take it and give it to my mother and I said sure (I on the other hand have no trouble taking freebies). So she winds up with an excellently carved wallet. It just made her year!!!!!!! While I'm shopping Dave takes her in hand and shows her what all the different hides are and what animals they came from. She had a blast, couldn't wipe the smile of her face a day later!!!!!!!!!! Great way to start the new year.

Great customer service like I used to see 40 years ago and Dave knows I'll be back!

John

Edited by gunfighter48

People like that are a treasure to find. Great story, and say "Hi Mom" for me as well.

Ken

That is such a great story. Tell your mother Happy New Year. It's nice to know people like that are still around. I think we have some of those people here on this forum. Helping others. Thanks everyone.

Stories like this are very cool. It is very rare to get customer service like that.

I have to say that was really the same kind of treatment I received at the local Tandy store. My wife went in to pick up some snaps for purses/bibs that she makes and the kids and I went in with her, half way through the trip three of my kids and I are sitting at the table stamping hearts and braclets after the invitation by one of the employees. By the end of the trip I had bought tools and agreed to bring my daughter to a tooling class, where I got hooked because one of the employees really took the time walk me through the whole process : )

All the Tandy Stores I have ever been to were staffed with knowledgable friendly people. I like buying from Tandy because of this.

I have to say that the store in Allentown, PA (where you'll find Jeff and Talina) is excellent too. They are "transplants" from TX, and definitely got the PA winter welcome last year when the store first opened (lots of ice with snow on top). They are helpful and friendly and I've never had a problem there that they didn't resolve quickly. They run classes every Sat. morning on a variety of topics.

As a Business owner and a customer of Tandy Leather I would have to say they rank up there with Cabela's and Nordstroms as far as service goes. their managers are truly people that enjoy making people and especially their customers happy.

About six months ago I needed some Black Antique for a customer's belt the tooling was done and I was out of Black antique. Knowing that Febings isn't going to make it any more I was trying to get a big 32 oz jar of it. I ordered it from my Tandy dealer and she couldn't find it any where. she after a month went by found a four oz jar and sent it to me free of charge because it took her so long to find it.even though it took a month to get what I needed she didn't have to give it to me for free. that is service and I will continue to buy several items there because of that kind of service.

LOL on the Cabela's part of that: I worked there for a few months at the store here in Hamburg - they are WRETCHED to their employees (the management is, I mean) I have worked alot of different jobs over the years, from 10 years at a college, to an auto parts store, to a greenhouse, etc etc, and I never had a worse boss than I did at Cabelas. And I heard the same from other dept employees.

I worked for the older incarnation of Tandy, and everything was on a shoestring, but I can't say I've ever had a sweeter job. I never made much money, but I looked forward to opening the store every morning. The Tandy store attracted a variety of interesting friendly customers, I got to travel to events and camps and wherever the customers were, and some days they paid me to play. I would get an idea in my head, sit down and make it, and sell the stuff so everyone that liked it could make one too. The local leather guild met in my store, and they would help me teach anyone who was interested. Customers would call, I'd pick out the hide I would buy if I were them, and I'd ship their stuff knowing they would drop in the next time they were in town for a cup of coffee. If Tandy opened a store near here I would be begging for it, but I probably live too far off the beaten path. How many jobs do you have in your life that you can honestly enjoy every day? Tandy was one for me.

Johanna

Man....Two of my most favorite jobs have been like that. Great places to work, looked forward to going in daily but just couldnt pay worth a crap.

My Tandy Leather in East Hartford is awesome like that too.

I have a business account with them and they've let me add on a few people so they can get the business prices and pick up stuff for me. When ice and snow come, my mobility goes out the door, even WITH a service dog, so they help me with what ever I need help with.

My 6 year old loves Tandy leather. She comes in, finds Bruce, the manager and asks if she can pound leather. He gives her a scrap, lets he pull out tools and away she goes making little creations. Sometimes I get her a little kit and let her have at it to decorate pouch or whatever she picked up.

It's one of the stores that my Gremlin (6 year old) and my service dog LOVE to go into. And they don't get bench out of shape when I have my dog help me pull out hides to have a look at. (She's always easy and grasps the very edges so she doesn't leave teeth mark.)

On more than one occasion I've helped other customers find stuff and put together the tools they need for a project, answered questions or helped out with a class that is going on when I've come in to shop, then come home to find a tool, conchos, rhinestones, a strap or a book that I didn't pick up, but they knew I wanted in my bags. I called thinking it was a mistake, only to be told it was a thank you.

David & Brett have been excellent to me for the 3 or 4 years I have done business with them. Tandy finally came to Alaska, which is great, but I do miss talking with David and Brett. They have both been very helpful to me.

Charity & Missy at the Anchorage store are great too.

Rob

I can only agree, with most every ones else's comments about Tandy Leather Factory stores.

I live in Ga. and my nearest Tandy is in Chattanooga, TN. (120 miles away ) Annette, Dana and Flute are super great to my wife and myself. Also great friendships within the ranks of other leather workers there are usually the order of the day.

Further away is Dave in Nashville, In my humble opinion they all are Extremely Knowledgeable, and helpful ! CUDOO"s

Wow !!!! So many good comments about the service at Tandy.

I need to add my two cents as well.

Began dealing with the store in Montgomery, Alabama some time ago and manager and I developed some good rapport.

One day he called me and told me that they were closing the store there and moving back to Birmingham. Probably had to do with

demographics but felt badly about losing store within driving distance.

Even though I am no longer able to visit the store, the manager, Chance Chancellor and I have continued to work things out. He has been more than helpful and very happy to have him at the store. He is always willing to go the extra mile for me.

Wish I could send him all of my business but many items I must purchase from other vendors.

The company has had issues that have not been well accepted by all but they have a splendid staff in "my" store.

God Bless everyone.

Ray

Edited by raysouth

Thats a great story John.

I miss the brick & morter Tandy stores. You see I live in New York City.

When I first started doing leather work, Way back in 1970, there were 5 Tandy stores in my area within 10 miles.

Now there are NONE. I've asked Tandy's big wigs, they told me the rent in NY was just TOO much to warrent the opening of even one store.

Our loss. If it wasn't for Tandy I probely wouldn't be making leather for the past 40 + years ...

I've got to toss my little experience and 2 cents in here as well.

When I decided to jump back into this annoying frustrating part of my life I was greeted like a old family member at our local Tandy store. A year later and more than a few hits to the paycheck I always feel welcome even if I am just popping in for advice. Seth, the manager, and his "minions" are a great group of people. Steering me away from items that I sometimes have my heart set on and explaining why I would be happier with something else, even if it cost less money or comes from a competitor. This is how I found out about Barry King and those fantastic tools of his, they steered me in his direction.

Last summer I made it a priority to make 2 stops on vacation. Springfield Leather and Tandy in Ft. Worth. Both great experiences as well. Customer service may not be the priority in other industries but I can say that in this industry it is refreshing that I have had nothing but great experiences.

I don't do this for a living, only for myself though one day maybe in retirement..............gotta stay busy, right?