Sign in to follow this  
Sjm1027

I would like to create my own pattern

I usually use patterns I find in books or on this page and just assume it is correct. One thing about that is I find myself limited as to what I can make. I would like to create my own pattern for my next project and would like to ask a few questions.

I have some really nice paper to do this with (Brown Shopping Bags) seem to be perfect for this work. I would like to make a simple bag, about 14" long X 5" wide. The five inches would be max opening, thin leather so it can accordion out when the extra room is needed. I am thinking 7 ounce leather for front back bottom and top, all one piece of leather and just add the sides at about 4 ounce leather. I will use a clasp for the front.

My question is, Do you all assemble your templates with glue, giving the project a shake down before you start the real deal?

Would appreciate it if someone would explain the design, template to project process or maybe there is something out there I have not found yet.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Sjm1027

Whenever I made templates, I would always transfer to a cheap skin, like suede, or pig first. It gave me a better handle on the reality of leather versus the posterboard, or paper template. You might even use the leather you intend to, but in miniature version, to see how things bend or foldover.

With one piece bags, the bottom of the gussett is important...too round...too square...There is a goldilock moment to the gussets that is "just right" for the shape of your bag, and they are usually thinner at the top, than at the bottom.

Most of the time I will not pre assemble the patterns, this tends to tear or where the patterns but if it is something out of the ordinary I have been known to do it. But I do not glue as that would run the pattern. Use binder clips that you can get from the office supply and assemble with the binder clips. I also use the binder clips to hold the leather together as I sew. I have to give credit to Bruce Johnson on this one as he is the one who suggested the binder clips. I now have them all over my shop. They are used to clip everthing together. They are like a second set of hands when holding projects. Well I kinda got off topic.

RC