Ap10046

Dyeing/darkening An Expensive Leather Bag

Hi All,

First time poster, but have been skulking around the forums for a bit..wealth of information here!

Before I go ahead and mess up my leather bag, I would appreciate some advice please.

I have a Ghurka leather briefcase, about 15 years old, in light brown (faded..?) chestnut leather.

The bag is in great condition but the color is just too light/insipid.

1) Should I attempt to darken it a little?

2) How would you recommend/advice I go ahead?

Thank you'll much!

Don't even try if you are not willing to risk messing it up.

I would scrub it with deglazer, bye with fiebings dye and seal with Dr Jacksons or possibly atom wax.

Another option you can try, if the original finish is pretty worn etc. Put a few coats of lexol on it and see if you can get it darker that way.

Like Aaron said, dyeing it comes with the risk of ruining it.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies.

Messing it up would not be an option, thus am very hesitant to do anything to it.

Would Obenauf's LO also darken it?

As before, I have been too hesitant (scared) to take anything but Crema Nubiana to it.

Any oil product will likely darken it some. The more conditioner you used the more likely dying it will not be successful (blotchy).

Again, if you are not willing to mess it up, do not touch it with dye. I did a color change on a Coach purse once. I made the lady promise me she would not be upset if it was ugly. I did an inside flap first and it came out awesome. I was actually surprised. I have ruined a number of brand new items coloring them, it is always risky. Every piece of leather takes dye different than the last one you colored.

Edited by electrathon