SampsonIII

Resist Trouble.

I am having trouble with using a resist technique. I have used Super Sheene and Block Out. Every time I put a staine or antique on it looks terrible and I have to throw the finished product away. Makes me sick to ruin perfectly good projects away at that stage. Any advice?

I use Clear Lac from Sheridan outfitters and I think Springfield leather carries something similar (WyoLac I think). Block out is water based and I haven't had any luck with it either. Also the Super Sheen is just a protectant for a top coat...not much good for resist in my experience.

Just to add, Clear Lac is the best I've used and it is also available from Springfield Leather Company.

Chief

Is Clear Lac similar to NeatLac?

It is the same as Neat Lac, just marketed under a different name, there's a story there not sure what it is but Clear Lac is Neat Lac. At least I can't tell any difference and I was told that it is the same thing. The Company that makes it is called LCI.

Chief

LCI used to make it for Tandy.........but since they went eco friendly they stopped carrying it and it is now made and sold under the names Clear Lac and Wyosheen. That is the shrt version...lol

Second that, been there done that got real mad too....haha...now I use NeatLac from STLeather and all is well....works great and protects so well....just make sure you dont spray or brush it on, works better to be rubbed on....sheeps wool !

Give us some feedback how it went....

Jimbob

Something else you might consider is if you are having problems with a certain step

until you get it figured out to your satisfaction, you should try it out on scraps first.

Also, you don't really have to throw something away if it doesn't turn out exactly like you

had in mind. You could just dye it or color it all one color... * I have seen things

that were really nice, or very original - due to mistakes...

Once you get to the point where you have your antique on and it is dried you can wash off a lot if it

and you might end up with a color you might like... this might help with that

Some Tips On How To Use Antique the 4th step in particular. You might be able to find something helpful here...

I think I know what you want and you will need to try the products mentioned above, but you

might be able to salvage your other projects that didn't turn out 'quite right'.

My avatar is a piece that I colored with Saddle Tan Antique

post-15330-0-37304100-1351934294_thumb.j

I use Super Sheen a lot with no problems. But, I apply it three times and let it dry between each new coat, and apply generously. Again, it resists to natural color for me with stain and antiques. But thats just my experience. It is the acryliqe that is what resists, which is why satin sheen doesn't resist as much, less acrylique.

Edited by sherlockian100

Oh, Hey Sampsonlll - You might also find this to be of interest...

Here is an interesting post with a picture of his work, and his finishing technique.

I just Loooove :notworthy: his work - Double U Leather

Floral Checkbook Cover

Hope this is of help :thumbsup:

Edited by LNLeather