Cyberthrasher

Hypoallergenic Hardware

Does anybody know of a place to get hypoallergenic hardware? Right now I have an issue where I'm dealing with someone who's really allergic to Nickel and has issues with many other metals. Primarily I need to find some large snaps - Line24 size, but I can also see needing various buckles for cuffs and belts. So far I'm not really turning anything up on Google accept for stuff only suitable for lightweight fabric.

Does anybody know of a place to get hypoallergenic hardware? Right now I have an issue where I'm dealing with someone who's really allergic to Nickel and has issues with many other metals. Primarily I need to find some large snaps - Line24 size, but I can also see needing various buckles for cuffs and belts. So far I'm not really turning anything up on Google accept for stuff only suitable for lightweight fabric.

I saw some line 24 snaps and such on ebay that were made of steel... so they claimed. Price seemed ok too.

I might have to give this stuff a try until I can find a good source of actual hardware. Good information for anybody else who might be searching around in the same situation.

http://www.athenaallergy.com/products/Nickel_Guard_2_Pack_Refill-19-4.html

Right now she's using clear coat nail polish - so I guess I just have to see how much more durable this stuff is.

I have allergies to metal, too. It's the nickel used in most metals that does it to me and includes being allergic to sterling silver. I can usually do 10K gold and more. Most hardware has nickel in it and all the silver coloured stuff has nickel coating, so it's bad for me. I've found that copper is OK for me, so your customer might try that, but when the clearcoat on most copper wears off, it'll make your skin green or black where it rubs. Clear nail polish works, too, but it wears off eventually and has to be reapplied. You can spray some items with a clear acrylic coating - try Krylon indoor/outdoor 'cause it comes in matte or gloss and is flexible - but it will work its way off, too. I would suggest that if you do this, you tell your customer and don't make any promises. One customer of mine told me she puts fabric bandages (not the pad) on the back of the rivets on her jeans pockets and metal buttons - it stays on in the wash.

I'm still going to order some of that stuff and check it out I think, but I just cut out a little piece of lining leather today and glued it over the base of the snap. This particular problem is with my wife - so I get to test it all out. But, there are some other people who have asked me for stuff who are in the same situation.

I have an idea for ya!

So you are playing around quite a bit with lace work at the moment...so:..

Just make a replica very thin piece of leather for the bottom lining and after you put your snaps on the top skin apply your under side and lace it all together:)

No skin contact with any metals...a little more work, but it will solve your problem.

And you get to practice your TLS!

Or hand stitch it together...but you know my vote is LACE ALWAYS!

A tip if you're going to attempt it this way...when you are cutting the bottom piece of leather go ahead and roll it over together because it will stick out further than the top piece and cause an uncomfortable wrinkle and cause your holes to slide and you will have problems lacing it together...so just use your hand punch and hand punch the holes ;so go ahead and cut it as if was being worn. And then use some textile glue and glue them together before you lace it.

Are you pickin up what I'm puttin down???

It is more work...but....The end justifies the means!

I have some other ideas to but I think that is the way to go....for this particular problem!

And you don't have to always do it the hard way, just for those folks allergic to metals!

:)

Edited by chancey77