Sign in to follow this  
SCOUTER

How to make a simple case...

Casemaking is a part of leatherworking that I have always admired. Years ago I was looking for a simple design that would look professional and still be quick. What I came up with was attaching leather to wood sides. It is simple and has many artistic possibilities.

First start with a piece of leather and two side pieces of wood. The leather will wrap aroung the wood "sides" so if you want a cover flap make the leather a few inches longer. Try to keep the thickness of the wood sides about 3/8" to 1/2" thick.

Case1a.JPG

Now, After tooling your design and any other outside treatments, apply white leather glue to the leather and wood sides, wrap leather tightly around sides and use small finish nails to secure, let dry.

case3a.JPG

Here is the backside of the case, I used 3/4" copper finish nails pre-drilled the holes about 1/2" deep to avoid splitting wood. Another tip is to grind off the points of the nails, reason being that a pointed nail will split thin wood, where as a blunt tip will push thru material.

case4a.JPG

Tip- If you have a belt sander leave a little overhang when attaching leather to wood sides, then sand leather and wood down together to make a nice flush side, then finish sides with varnish! (I did not do that here)

I wanted to make this case with a flap and snap but the leather I was using was too thin and when I cut an initial box in the flap it was too deep and I had to cut off flap. Sorry- :blush:

case2a.JPG

You can make any shape, style case you want with this method. Also- the wood sides adds strength and protection. If you are feeling adventurous try carving a design into the "side panels".

*Please note that this case is not a good example of the technique described above but rather a simple mock-up of something that can be a very enjoyable project.

Good Luck! :)

post-5432-1201851722_thumb.jpg

post-5432-1201852247_thumb.jpg

post-5432-1201852483_thumb.jpg

post-5432-1201852764_thumb.jpg