thefanninator

May Keep Making Stuff Challenge

Summer is almost here - you'll need this!

tboyce's Sunglasses pattern...

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59499

Nice! I need to make something like five of these for birthday gifts for all the girls in my family.

Got a show coming up Saturday, should be a good seller

Here's my first one. Made from 4oz drum dyed leather and lined with pigskin. I had to slightly enlarge the pattern to fit my glasses and sew all the edges where I lined it. I like the way the white contrasts the black leather.

20150503 103727a

20150502 214657a

I think on the second page of the pattern's thread, Tboyce posted an enlarged version of the pattern.

Anyone else finish the sunglasses case?

Anyone have suggestions for June?

A day late, a dollar short....the story of my life lol. I managed to put the finishing touches on this tonight. I showed a few people the in progress piece while I was partially finished the airbrushing and I have a few people asking for one for them.

post-58856-0-29716500-1433205950_thumb.j

post-58856-0-73730900-1433205954_thumb.j

post-58856-0-25751900-1433205959_thumb.j

Cool, TRH. I like the airbrushing.

Chris, I'm bad - I didn't end up making one of these. I started thinking the center of this design really needed support, like this one by dextannery. post-38542-0-34559900-1433207631_thumb.j or it would be hard to close it without damaging the glasses.

So instead I made several based on Norman Cahn's design: post-38542-0-71781300-1433207880_thumb.j

You should look through dextannery's shop. There are some pretty cool ideas for covering large car keys.

Does cork count? I made this one first, intending to followup with a leather one, and just didn't get around to it. As Monica notes, a stiffener would be a good addition.

post-59915-0-30782800-1433220774_thumb.j

Thanks Monica.

A stiffener would also help it hold it's shape a little better.

Mark, I love the look of the cork.

Edited by TRHLeather

I have to agree with you Monica. When tboyce first posted this design, I uploaded a photo and chose to go with a wrap around strap. I was too afraid to use any type of snap that you would have to apply pressure to close the case. My eyeglasses and even my prescription sunglasses cost way too much to chance scratching or breaking.

I have seen several designs that use the support piece in the middle which I think is ideal to help ensure you don't damage the glasses inside. It gives you a place to apply pressure if using a snap closure, while keeping your glasses inside a safe distance away.

Karina

Monica, I love your "poke style" sunglasses case, and I would love to know what kind of leather it is and oz, and if it is soft/stiff etc.

Eva :)

Been away for a few weeks. Haven't had a chance for the May challenge, although I will make it. Did I miss the June challenge post?

No you didn't miss the June post. There isn't one. I've been busy with a new baby and a new house. I haven't had time to pick out a new pattern. If anyone has a suggestion please post one.

No worries. It will give me a chance to re work some of the other patterns again. Congratulations on the new baby, and the new house!!

Congrats on the new house and baby, my condolences on no sleep for the rest of your life ;)