I recently finished this belt for a customer. At the request of David and Johanna I am posting pics. Specs are as follows: This belt was made to match the buckle. The buckle and all of the conchos on the belt are made by the Edward H. Bohlin Co. Buckle is sterling and overlaid in 3 color 14k gold. Initials are paved in diamonds. Cost $7200.00. There are 8 acorn conchos on the belt, caps are green 14k gold and the nuts are rose 14k. Cost $800.00 each for a total of $6400.00. The spines for the oak leaves are white gold and cost $500. The belt is 1.5" wide x size 38. It is hand tooled and dyed a custom chestnut color, with a mahogany dyed background. The edge is 8 plait round braided with two colors of hand cut and beveled kangaroo lace. About 40 yards of lace and over 24 hours of labor in braiding alone. Total cost of this belt and buckle combo was $16,400

Keith

MPAcornBucklebelt.jpg

MPAcornbeltback.jpg

MPAcornbeltbraiding.jpg

MPacornbeltlining.jpg

Keith,

Thanks for the explanation and breakdown. Great job on the belt, it really sets off the set well. Impressive is about all I can say.

I don't know if I can afford to leave a comment here. :o

*whispers* pretty belt.

Love the lacing work! Beautiful dying and the carving on the inside of the belt really sets it apart! Beautiful workmanship!

Over half the world lives on less then 2 American dollars a day!

That's a real work of art! I'm curious... Will the customer wear this belt? IMO, it would be a shame to let it sit around and collect dust...

*Stunned*

Absolutly beautiful work, I love the braiding and the inside carving details, really special.

Great job Keith, really cool.

Troy

Did you submit the pattern to the silversmith for the stems or carve it and "bend" the silver? And how did you attach the silver pieces?

Also- how does one do an 8 round braid?

pete

Thanks All, It is nice to have customers that allow you to make things like this.

ABN: He will wear this belt. I have made him several over $10,000 and he wears them all!

Keith

WOW!.......WOW!.....ummmmm...... WOW!

WoW is right. What a super nice belt.

Nice made belt truly amazing buckel, does a body guard come with it LOL, Don

:notworthy: I am unworthy! That is fantastic!

Beautiful work on the belt.

$16,400.00 ? When I think of the list of things I might buy if I had that much to blow......To be honest a belt doesn't even make the list!

I'd probably waste it on something frivolous(sp?) like a car.......or one of my kids college education.

Beautiful work on the belt.

$16,400.00 ? When I think of the list of things I might buy if I had that much to blow......To be honest a belt doesn't even make the list!

I'd probably waste it on something frivolous(sp?) like a car.......or one of my kids college education.

Hell I'd likely spend half of it on Bourbon and hookers and just blow the rest. ;) Wait the wife might get tweaked about that. I have a hard time imagining spending $16K on a belt though. I did spend $1,100 for two buckles last year, but you only have one 25th anniversary.

Mike

I'm afraid to see what the pants cost. Great Lookin Belt!

Keith,

The more I think about this, the more I am inspired. I understand that there are only so many customers that can afford or desire that pricetag, but it does prove to leatherworkers that there is room to go up. It gives me faith when there are customers that will pay that for a belt, boots at 10K, and saddles are selling for 50K. I was in a shop last year, and watched them quote a guy $400 for a plain basket stamped belt, lined and stitched. They had a rack of $55 Vogts off to the side that to most people would have been hard to tell the difference. Customer ordered the shop belt with a 6 week wait. There is room at all levels. It also gives legitimacy that what we all are doing is an art and people are willing to pay for something that has our name on it. Then to further make it real, they are using it as intended.

Amazing. It is truly beautiful! I can't imagine having that kind of money to spend for a belt.

ArtS

Truly awesome!!! That belt is truly too cool for school! :cowboy:

Thanks for telling us about this project and posting the pics. You have given me something to shoot for artistically.

Regards,

Nick

Did you submit the pattern to the silversmith for the stems or carve it and "bend" the silver? And how did you attach the silver pieces?

Also- how does one do an 8 round braid?

pete

Pete, I drew specific patterns for the silversmith. The findings on the backs are 16 gauge folded wire. The fold is soldered to the silver like a split rivet only stronger and can be clinched tighter to the leather. Also not specific to leather thickness. I use a lot of silver from these guys and it really helps when both I and my silversmith understands what I want.

The eight plait round edge braid is outlined in Bruce Grant's braiding books. It is similar to a spanish round braid and can be done with one string or several. With two colors, you can get the candy cane effect that I did on this belt or you can get a checkerboard. It is very time consuming!

I'll quote my wife - "That's the most beautiful belt I've ever seen." I also like to see acorn and oak done so well, as it's often the most mangled for some reason.

The more I think about this, the more I am inspired. I understand that there are only so many customers that can afford or desire that pricetag, but it does prove to leatherworkers that there is room to go up.

Agreed. It's all in the details - which at this price level have to be flawlessly executed, custom (one-off, in this case), and elegantly done. This belt hits all three.

Bill

Keith,

The more I think about this, the more I am inspired. I understand that there are only so many customers that can afford or desire that pricetag, but it does prove to leatherworkers that there is room to go up. It gives me faith when there are customers that will pay that for a belt, boots at 10K, and saddles are selling for 50K. I was in a shop last year, and watched them quote a guy $400 for a plain basket stamped belt, lined and stitched. They had a rack of $55 Vogts off to the side that to most people would have been hard to tell the difference. Customer ordered the shop belt with a 6 week wait. There is room at all levels. It also gives legitimacy that what we all are doing is an art and people are willing to pay for something that has our name on it. Then to further make it real, they are using it as intended.

:yes: Very well said, Bruce. People need to remember that leather is -- and always has been -- a premium material. Leather products that are executed with a very high degree of skill should definitely command top prices.

Kieth, that is about the nicest lace job I have ever seen, that alone is worth a few grand. The belt is in a word "Gorgeous" thank you for sharing the pictures and details of this with us. It's refreshing to know that there are people out there that are willing to pay for the "Custom" made items that we all strive to make and sell.

Ken