Sign in to follow this  
jscott

First Attempt At A Belt

I started messing with leather at the beginning of the year. I have done some small projects and decided to try my hand at a belt and I am pleased with the way it turned out. I started with a Tandy beginners kit (which now I know has less then awesome tools) but am slowing replacing the tools that I use most often with better ones. Please give me pointers on things that I can improve on. I know there are lots of them.

Thanks,

Jeremy

final belt.bmp

final belt 2 REVISED.bmp

final belt 3 REVISED.bmp

That looks very nice. I like the dye job. The dark background is cool. Form what I can see from your picture, the tooling looks good, especially the pear shader. Can't tell much on the beveling, but the swivel knife cuts look a bit jerky in spots and others they flow. Keep at it. Wear that belt and be proud, because you made it. IMHO opinon the tools to upgrade first are swivel knife, bevelers and geometrics. Take a look at Barry King. His bevelers and swivel knives are top notch.

Jon

I think your belt looks very nice! Your choice of buckle goes nicely with your tooling as well. Keep up the good work.

I started messing with leather at the beginning of the year. I have done some small projects and decided to try my hand at a belt and I am pleased with the way it turned out. I started with a Tandy beginners kit (which now I know has less then awesome tools) but am slowing replacing the tools that I use most often with better ones. Please give me pointers on things that I can improve on. I know there are lots of them.

Thanks,

Jeremy