Sign in to follow this  
LeatherWerks

Using Vinegaroon On Leather

Okay, I'm brewing a batch of Vinegaroon per the instruction I found somewhere on this forum. Everything appears to be going fine with the batch. Now, being a very impatient person, I decided after about 18 hours to dye a scrap of leather to see if it actually works; it does and I'm impressed with the color. Now, maybe everything has it drawbacks, maybe Vinegaroon has some as well. How do you get the vinegar smell to go away? Remember, I told you I'm impatient, and only gave the leather a couple of hours before I gave it the smell test. My question is this, will the vinegar smell go away, and if it does, how long does it normally take? Also, I read on this forum that you also need to use a baking soda solution to stop what I guess is the chemical reaction on the leather. Does anyone have more info about that? I make concealed carry holsters and before I dye a batch of holsters and send them out, I'd like to be assured my customers won't be strapping on a holster that smells like a salad bar.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edited by LeatherWerks

Well, the first thing you have to do is learn patience. Leather craft is not an instant gratification thing. More folks have ended up ruining projects by not letting dyes and finishes dry properly before the next step. (ask me how I know. LOL)

The smell does go away. And once you put your finish on there you'll not smell it at all. Katsass, if I remember correctly puts on some plain old black shoe paste right on the vinegarooned item. If you are familiar with the smell of shoe paste... then you know it will disguise the smell of 'roon. But regardless if you let it sit a few days in an area where it will get plenty of fresh air... the smell dissipates over time.

Remember that Vinegaroon is an acid based chemical. The baking soda bath is to stop it from damaging the leather. Though in the old books on the subject it never mentions the baking soda bath. So I am not sure it's required with well brewed 'roon. Make sure you hand oil the leather and rub it in well, too.

Edited by Sylvia

Well, the first thing you have to do is learn patience. Leather craft is not an instant gratification thing. More folks have ended up ruining projects by not letting dyes and finishes dry properly before the next step. (ask me how I know. LOL)

The smell does go away. And once you put your finish on there you'll not smell it at all. Katsass, if I remember correctly puts on some plain old black shoe paste right on the vinegarooned item. If you are familiar with the smell of shoe paste... then you know it will disguise the smell of 'roon. But regardless if you let it sit a few days in an area where it will get plenty of fresh air... the smell dissipates over time.

Remember that Vinegaroon is an acid based chemical. The baking soda bath is to stop it from damaging the leather. Though in the old books on the subject it never mentions the baking soda bath. So I am not sure it's required with well brewed 'roon. Make sure you hand oil the leather and rub it in well, too.

From the old grumpy guy:: Sylvia has it right, except that I use Kiwi Neutral shoe wax. If you use colored shoe wax, it will rub off and dsicolor that which it touches or rubs against. Mike

From the old grumpy guy:: Sylvia has it right, except that I use Kiwi Neutral shoe wax. If you use colored shoe wax, it will rub off and dsicolor that which it touches or rubs against. Mike

Ah! That makes sense! Thanks for clarifying.

My experience with vinegaroon is limited, but, I've found that if you let it air for a couple of days, the smell on the item tends to fade pretty well.

After that, finishing with something like acrylic resolene seemed to completely remove any scent. Super sheen (if that's what you are into) seems to work about as well.

Seemingly any real finishing product will block the smell as long as you let the piece air out a a little bit before finishing.