Girl

How Do You Get Such Nice Punched Holes?

Hello everybody! New to leather and had a question.

I liked these cup holders from W&F, I tried it on the drill press, but the holes just didn't come out as nice?

Did he really punch these holes? How do you get the holes looking nice? Just wondering! ;)

Thanks!

post-48636-0-71534100-1399825102_thumb.j

post-48636-0-85527300-1399826003_thumb.j

first picture was hammered with a small punch tool

Second picture was with a round awl or a tandy sewing punch.

Hammered huh? Well, good to know. The second one is actually mine. I did that on the drill press. Thanks for your help though! That just seemed like a lot of holes with a single punch. But...it does look nicer! :)

Punched holes will always look nicer, . . . because the leather is all removed, there is a taper to the hole, and it is a clean cut.

Drilling with a drill press will give you a clean hole in wood and metal, . . . but not in leather, . . . unless you use a leather punch. You can also sharpen the end of metal tubing, . . . us it in the drill press, . . . it will give you a pretty nice hole.

A drill bit will always make raggedy holes.

May God bless,

Dwight

I use a hand held punch to make the holes when making leather jar sleeves. Mark the holes then punch, the result is nice clean holes like you see in the first picture.

Here is the punch I use post-32363-0-48850300-1399830525_thumb.j

Karina

Yeah, I have one of those punches. Next time I guess? But maybe I'll look into those drill press punches? Would sure make it go faster! Thanks everybody!

Hi Girl:

Don't try to "find" drill press punches. Just use long handled hammered punches and chuck them into your drill press. :)

Really? Wow, that'd be even better! Cause I think they have smaller punches and that would be awesome! Thanks for the tip!!

Wooo Hooooo!!! Thanks everybody!!!! Got the HF set, then I tried chucking up my punch that I have too (it has the heads that are interchangeable). PERRRFECT! Worked like a charm and EXACTLY what I wanted!! Sweet looking holes and...fast too! ;)

Now I just need to practice my cutting! ;). Thanks so much everyone for your tips and suggestions! Planning my next bag! :)

post-48636-0-02200000-1400361979_thumb.j

post-48636-0-31084800-1400361995_thumb.j

Girl, W&F's Mason coozy is totally just hand punched. You can see the little endearing inconsistencies.

And man is he a genius for figuring out how to get $28 for 4x8 from the butt end of a side of bridle he couldn't use for straps or bags. Genius.