DSJackson

Memo Pad Cover: Help!

I use a lot of memo pads and decided to make a cover that I can slip new pads into to save wear and tear from the pockets. First a bit of info on the pads in question:

5" long X 3" wide, spiralbound at the top.

Link for image purpose only: http://www.officedep...nd-Top-Opening/

I've never undertaken this kind of project before so I just opened the pad, measured it from top to bottom and side to side on a piece of paper and made the pattern, and added size for stitching placement. I cut the leather out from the pattern and just to see roughly how it was going to work out I lay the open pad on the cut leather and close the whole thing as it would be if it were finished. Not terribly suprised by the fact that it's too short. I thought that the spiral's dimensions would make up for that when I measured but when closed the leather is a good inch or slightly more too short.

What did I do wrong here? For future projects of this kind, how does one account for this when making patterns? I've never made a wallet before but I immediately imagined this would be an issue with making wallets too.

In dire need of tips, hints and tricks!

Thanks in advance

I use a lot of memo pads and decided to make a cover that I can slip new pads into to save wear and tear from the pockets. First a bit of info on the pads in question:

5" long X 3" wide, spiralbound at the top.

Link for image purpose only: http://www.officedep...nd-Top-Opening/

I've never undertaken this kind of project before so I just opened the pad, measured it from top to bottom and side to side on a piece of paper and made the pattern, and added size for stitching placement. I cut the leather out from the pattern and just to see roughly how it was going to work out I lay the open pad on the cut leather and close the whole thing as it would be if it were finished. Not terribly suprised by the fact that it's too short. I thought that the spiral's dimensions would make up for that when I measured but when closed the leather is a good inch or slightly more too short.

What did I do wrong here? For future projects of this kind, how does one account for this when making patterns? I've never made a wallet before but I immediately imagined this would be an issue with making wallets too.

In dire need of tips, hints and tricks!

Thanks in advance

hello i make a lot of judges notebooks all they are is a tooled cover for a small legal pad. the way i made my pattern is i measure the pad and alloy 1/2 inch above the top and 1/2 inch below the bottom and 1/2 inch on the side. now mine open up like a bookand the pad is inside, with flap and pen holder on oppsite side. i am working one now should have it done this weekend will post it for you to look at. if i can help in any other way just let me know john

One of the mistakes I have made is to lay the ruler out on the project and place one edge at the one inch mark and then read the ruler at the other edge and forget to add the inch I left off. The same can occur when making the leather. I tend not to use the end of the ruler since I do not get as accurate a make as when I start at the 1 inch position. The other thing that can create a problem is not leaving enough room for expansion of the pocket to take in the full thickness of the memo pad. If the pad is 1l/4 inch thick, then you have to account for that on the edges and on the bottom. If you check I think you will find that the pad is not going the full depth of the pocket you made.

BillB

A lot of folks mis-measure because they take a note pad, for example, and just measure the top to bottom and multiply by 2. They don't allow for the thickness of the leather and the amount needed to make the fold. Nor do they allow for the thickness of the pad or book itself.

Measure your notepad CLOSED with a cloth tape from the back bottom, over the top and down to the front bottom. Also from the backside edge around to the front to the opposite side. This will give you a real measurement of the piece. From here you can cut a piece of leather 1" or so bigger than these dimentions and start your final measurements for design and stitch lines.

pete

Edited by pete

Folks have gave lots of good tips. Here's another one make your pattern out of poster board before you cut any leather and see how things fit. Make sure you allow for the leather thickness like was mentioned in another post.

I use a lot of memo pads and decided to make a cover that I can slip new pads into

Thanks for the idea, I was wanting to put my logo on something.

Kevin

post-19342-035498700 1302562625_thumb.jp

post-19342-006579400 1302562633_thumb.jp