Modad2010

Herman Oak Issues From Anyone Else?

So I had to go to Springfield Leather to pick up some HO for holsters. When I got there I discovered that the price had gone up by $0.80 s.f. I looked through about 25 hides and only found one that had a decent shoulder area that they were willing to cut off for me. When I got it home, it was like trying to cut through a concrete block - stropping my round knife after every 6-8 inches of cutting. It did the same thing to my bevellers - had to resharpen and strop them. When I first started making holsters a couple of years ago I loved working with HO, but now it seems to be a chore to find good piece of leather, and them working with it is more of a chore than something I find enjoyable to do. Does anyone else seem to be experiencing the same thing with Herman Oak? I was able to get a piece of Wickett and Craig a while back and liked it - thinking about switching over.

Just wanted to add that this was 7/8 oz. stuff and this has been the same case the last three times I purchased Herman Oak

Edited by Modad2010

I am using a side of Hermon Oak right now on a couple of projects and all I can say is it cuts like butter 8oz, but I have had it for a little while.

I get Hermann Oak from SLC about every other week, 9/10 oz 6/7oz and 4/5 oz and I haven't had any trouble what-so-ever.

Chief

I have had good success with quality, but does seem to have quite a few flaws to deal with on the good side. Did not have that issue before.

We just returned two 8/9 backs of HO to springfield -- WAY too much waste factor. I understand that "B" grade isn't flawless (that's why it's "B") but that was ridiculous. You'd be lucky if you could use HALF of that leather. The ONLY thing good about that whole deal was they accepted it back without issue. 'Course, that means UPS got paid twice, but SCL made nothing and we don't have 8/9 oz.

Use H.O. for everything and get much of it from SLC; never had any issues with it.

I recently got some HO from Springfield and experienced much the same. Seemed to cut fine with my round knife but had to strop my BK swivel knife as well as edgers quite often. Also was pretty tough to skive the flesh side. But on the other hand it tooled very nicely.

The stuff I've had tools well and burnishes great, it's just been very difficult to cut and the sides have had too much in the way of flaws. You guys that are ordering from outside Missouri must be gettin' all the primo stuff. Would love to be able to order right from the tannery, but I don't do enough volume to be able to order 10 hides at a time.

Bought a 9/10 oz bend for making slings. I had the same experience - very tough to cut but carves, tools, burnishes well. I bought a razor knife from walmart to try and make it easier to cut. Took about a blade per sling before I noticed the drag. I'm not majorly concerned with it right now. Judging by the other comments I could have just received a stiffer hide.

Strangely enough the slings I dyed black with roon came out the most supple. The roon usually makes everything twice as stiff and brittle for me.

HO I have always had good luck with. In the past I have seen what you are describing more or less but in the extreme. The one I had issues with was a (forgive me) an asian hide, hard to cut, real dense, horrible. I am glad I was making lamellar (scale) armor. It worked well for the project, real durable but even punching it was not nice.

Once in a great while a not so good hide turns up, I would make mention to the supplier when you go to place the next order, usually they handle so many hides they may be able to pick one that you will not have this issue with. I have a "special" blade I use for hard hides (I do some blacksmithing and made it myself) it holds an edge forever but takes a lot to sharpen. I hope you do not have to cut many inside corners out of it, Good luck Stephen

We seem to have different opinions about what is "good" leather. The NAME on the receipt means nothing to me. I don't care which tannery it's from or who retails it, if anyone.

Simply, with good leather, you can fold a billfold closed, and opening it will NOT cause waves and/or wrinkles. Belt buckles may cause a "kink", but not wrinkles. It has an even and continuous thickness - no weak spots. The back is not 'fuzzy' and the front is not 'grainy'.

I sometimes wonder how many hides are sold, and later PRAISED by people who are so used to seeing junk leather that they think that's normal.

Edited by JLSleather

I have gotten HO from Tandy, advantage is I pick my own out. I just love the stuff, it cuts like butter. I think one of two things on the hide you got was maybe it wasn't HO or you got a bad lot.

JLS and Leatherwytch just nailed it --- the way to buy leather, with consistent characteristics (Quality), is to personally hand select it...

People put too much faith in the name on the receipt, I have bought good and bad from all sources in the past, that is why all my leather is hand selected by me, or someone from my shop I have trained...

Right or wrong --- I know what I want leather to look, feel (hand), and smell like... (Your Opinion May Vary)

You had an episode of Hermann Oak from Hell. When I was going through thirty to fifty sides per year I could count on having and least four or five that were virtually impossible to cut with a round knife. Had to use a razor knife with a hook blade pulled around the pattern and stropped frequently. The upside is that those sides made excellent holsters. Never figured out what caused it but others have posted on the same problem.

The thing is I was at SLC and the piece I selected was opened from a fresh roll f ten hides with the tannery label on it. I do like to hand select the leather I work with and am able to do so most of the time.