Nod4Eight

Old Saddle - Need Help With History

I picked up this old saddle off Craigslist - it was listed as a "buckaroo saddle". I picked it up to rebuild it a bit to use on colts. The tree is solid but the leather needs a little repair. The jockey seat has been torn and repaired, both stirrup leathers have been repaired in the past, it's def been used and seen a wreck or two in it's time. The skirting is newer than the rest of the saddle. I planned to re-wrap the horn. The makers mark is hard to make out other than Vale, OR. My question is this. I can find very little history online about it. Any help out there?

post-19573-096568600 1318915345_thumb.jp

Update - I did talk with U2 saddle shop in Vale OR, in hopes that they might have knowledge of any older saddle makers in the area and they had no info other than to give me a name of an older gentleman who made saddles in the area, but I can not find him listed in online directories. It looks very similar in construction to several other older saddles listed on this site for information as well. Many of those threads end with no update. I can supply other pictures of gullet and makers mark (I'll try to clean it up to see if I can make more out on it) etc. I'm mostly curious as to the age of the saddle.

there was a maker in vale oregon , from 1909-1913 j.c. kelley, this from "old cowboys saddles and spurs" by graham page 60. maybe this can help you make out the makers stamp? based on the saddle being an 8 button, with stirrup leathers over the fenders, tall narrow horn, and tall cantel it may fall into the dates above.

steve

Thanks Steve, appreciated. There is nothing on the makers mark but VALE SADDLERY CO on the top and VALE, OR on the bottom. It's all I can do to make it out and the pix didn't show anything - maybe once I oil it up... From what I've seen with the 8 button the years you supplied sounds about right, I've seen leathers out the fenders in different years, but I'm thinking around 100 years old. Thanks again Steve. Any other thoughts?

Thanks Steve, appreciated. There is nothing on the makers mark but VALE SADDLERY CO on the top and VALE, OR on the bottom. It's all I can do to make it out and the pix didn't show anything - maybe once I oil it up... From what I've seen with the 8 button the years you supplied sounds about right, I've seen leathers out the fenders in different years, but I'm thinking around 100 years old. Thanks again Steve. Any other thoughts?

Vale Saddlery 1909 is mentioned in the book. but that is all it says, no history or details. That does confirm the maker and the year. If Vale or the county has a library you may be able to find some history in a bussiness directory?

Steve

Just judging by the look of this saddle and the way it is rigged, it looks much like a couple I have reworked that were dated at the turn of the century. That would be my guess, and 1909 would probably spot on.

Bob